Feed fish first day in tank?

1. MissCap

MissCap Valued Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank. I put in TSS in yeaterday along with 2 male guppies. They are swimming around great. Should I feed them today or should I skip today? Also, how many times a day should I fees my fish? I am embarrassed to say I have no clue. One? Thanks so much.

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't feed them the first day. I'm not familiar with feeding routine of guppies but usually I fast any fish that I get from the store for one day at least because they've likely eaten at the store.

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If it were me, I would go ahead and feed them but just a very very tiny pinch. It may reduce the stress they may be feeling being in a new tank. And since you're cycling, I'd continue to feed lightly maybe once every other day so you don't overwhelm the bacteria you're trying to establish.

4. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I would feed them today and every day. I don't fast fish. congrats on your new tank and fish. Alison:;hi1

5. OP
    OP
    MissCap

MissCap Valued Member Member

Thanks everyone!!

6. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

I fed mine the first day. But I also got mine right when they opened and asked if they had fed them or not and they hadn't. I know fish can go for a while without feeding, buuuutttt my 3 year old really wanted to feed her fish for the first time...

7. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I would have given in to my daughter when she was 3, too, if only to prepare for when she took complete control at 14:).
    Best to you both, rick