Feed A Juvenile Spiny Eel

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by pacmanfrog404, Apr 23, 2018.

1. pacmanfrog404Valued MemberMember

Hello, I just recently acquired a "Starry Night Eel" from my LFS (It was 11.99 which may help identify it). The eel is only 3-ish inches and 1-2mm in diameter. I'm fairly certain it is a Mastacembelus frenatus I found here:  

The tank:
    10 Gal (I know this won't work, there is a window behind the tank that I am getting changed soon so I'm not going to put the final tank in. I'm going to put it in a 20 the moment the window is moved and then a 30-50 by the end of summer)
    77 degrees Fahrenheit
    8.3 pH (If I am right that this is a Mastacembelus frenatus, then this pH will fit the recommended 7.5-8.4)
    It is planted and has a number of rocks and pots for cover along with sand to burrow in.
    50 watt heater
    sponge filter

Basically what I need help with is: do any of you spiny eel geniuses know how to feed such a small animal? It never really comes out of the pile of pots in the corner, even at night so far (purchased 3 days ago). I have frozen brine and blood worms and I was thinking of putting a little 1 inch clear cup thing filled with food at the bottom next to the hiding spot. Anyone have any better ideas?

Again, I am definitely not keeping this animal in a 10g, I know I can pull it off right now though because the eel has less biomass than a guppy (It is that small).

(VID)
    (PIC)

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Maybe try some daphnia or i would also contact your lfs to see what it was taking already.

3. pacmanfrog404Valued MemberMember

Alright, I did try what I said with bloodworms overnight and this morning the cup was overturned and some of the food was gone. Since I didn't see it actually eating I'm not satisfied, but I am slightly reasured.