Feed A Juvenile Spiny Eel How Do I

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by pacmanfrog404, Apr 23, 2018.

1. pacmanfrog404Valued MemberMember

Hello, I just recently acquired a "Starry Night Eel" from my LFS (It was 11.99 which may help identify it). The eel is only 3-ish inches and 1-2mm in diameter. I'm fairly certain it is a Mastacembelus frenatus I found here:  

The tank:
    10 Gal (I know this won't work, there is a window behind the tank that I am getting changed soon so I'm not going to put the final tank in. I'm going to put it in a 20 the moment the window is moved and then a 30-50 by the end of summer)
    77 degrees Fahrenheit
    8.3 pH (If I am right that this is a Mastacembelus frenatus, then this pH will fit the recommended 7.5-8.4)
    It is planted and has a number of rocks and pots for cover along with sand to burrow in.
    50 watt heater
    sponge filter

Basically what I need help with is: do any of you spiny eel geniuses know how to feed such a small animal? It never really comes out of the pile of pots in the corner, even at night so far (purchased 3 days ago). I have frozen brine and blood worms and I was thinking of putting a little 1 inch clear cup thing filled with food at the bottom next to the hiding spot. Anyone have any better ideas?

Again, I am definitely not keeping this animal in a 10g, I know I can pull it off right now though because the eel has less biomass than a guppy (It is that small).

(VID)
      (PIC)

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Maybe try some daphnia or i would also contact your lfs to see what it was taking already.

3. pacmanfrog404Valued MemberMember

Alright, I did try what I said with bloodworms overnight and this morning the cup was overturned and some of the food was gone. Since I didn't see it actually eating I'm not satisfied, but I am slightly reasured.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice