Feather Fin With White Scrapes Help

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Harvster10, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Harvster10Valued MemberMember

EB3C7F45-67F7-42B1-90BA-1ECFE6BDC7AB.jpegF74E93FC-367D-4949-9D83-B5C294801C7E.jpeg this morning I noticed that my featherfin had sort of white scrapes along its body I have recently had my water tested and my lfs said that it was good. Will this just heal or do I need to treat it?

Ps she dosent like photos so I could only get her through her cave, sorry about the glare

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Can you list exact water parameters for pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Don't listen if the LFS just tell you good - write down exact water parameters. What they say is good might not actually be good.

Can you list tank size and tank mates?

3. Harvster10Valued MemberMember

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would get your own liquid test kit - ammonia is very important to test for, and strips can be inaccurate.

Your nitrates are too high - do larger and more frequent water changes to get those lower.

I wonder if he's being bullied by some of the other fish in the tank, and/or he's scraping himself on your decor. Large and frequent water changes can help him heal.

You have stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them. What are the dimensions of your tank?

5. Harvster10Valued MemberMember

I suspect she is scraping herself but I have not moved anything recently. I don’t think she is getting bullied as she is the largest fish in the tank. I think I might drill a larger hole into her favourite cave. About the stocking it’s 40h x 30w x 120l why what do mean about the stocking

6. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

A big size doesn't necessarily mean she's not getting bullied - little fish can bully big ones too.

Yoyo loaches should be in groups, but they're also nippy and can stress other fish, and I wouldn't add a group with your current stocking. I'd rehome it.

I think you have too many cichlids in your tank. I might rehome at least one species.

The scissortail rasbora should be in larger groups, but they need cooler water than the angel, and really a bigger tank too. They may look small now, but they get large as adults (6" long, which is big for a schooling fish). I'd rehome them as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice