Fda Removing All Fish Medications?

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just got back from my local fish store to get ich medication and they told me they have absolutely no medication for anything because the FDA is removing all fish medications from store shelves due to people using them for other types of animals. Now I have to wait another week to get medication online.

Is this happening anywhere else? I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From what I'm reading Canada is doing a lot of this lately and I did ask the question here on fishlore if they were introducing different meds but it fell on deaf ears, my opinion is that by taking meds off the shelf they are putting animals at risk, if people use fish meds for other than prescribed and that's taken away they will find something else, are you now breaking the law by buying off the net

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what I'm reading Canada is doing a lot of this lately and I did ask the question here on fishlore if they were introducing different meds but it fell on deaf ears, my opinion is that by taking meds off the shelf they are putting animals at risk, of people use fish meds for other than prescribed anx that's taken away they will find something else, are you now breaking the law by buying off the net
Major online sites like Amazon and bigger pet store websites don't have any medications left either. Just the small online fish stores but i'm still having trouble finding any that I need. I don't see how malachite green or organic herbal remedies are an issue. I'm not sure if it's considered breaking the law getting them online since it's still within the country. I'm fuming because heat treatment isn't working for the ich i'm dealing with. Lovely!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In the UK we have the RSPCA which protects animals dont you have a body like this they should be stamping all over government

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well I just called my local Petland and they said they still carry fish medications.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, I know about the antibiotics. I am talking ich medication like api super ick cure, kordon products, melafix, pimafix, all organic and natural "medications". Literally everything.
Wow, that's crazy. It's bad enough of the antibiotics that can save beloved animals' lives is banned, but even the small-scale things? That's ridiculous. What's the reasoning for this? The antibiotics is understandable at least. That's going to hurt the aquarium hobby, I'd imagine. If people's fish get sick and/or die and they can't do anything about it, they may not want to get more fish. I probably wouldn't. It's bad enough when you can't easily take your fish to the vet like with other pets.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The FDA is American, so that doesn’t make sense. I have a friend who lives in Canada on the border and has a P.O. Box in the US that he gets his fish meds sent to, then brings it across the border lol

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Before anybody blows a gasket, perhaps more information should be obtained from a legitimate source. Being told by a high-school student who works 6 hours a week in Petco does not mean that this is necessarily accurate.

The banning of antibiotics is long overdue; the overuse, abuse and misuse of these substances is causing numerous problems by fostering the accelerated evolution of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria that can create serious health risks for humans as well as animals. Read a few threads on Fishlore in which people casually comment on dosing their fish with an assortment of antibiotics and other substances, "just in case", or perhaps to treat some mysterious and unidentified condition. "I don't know what it is, so I'd better treat them with everything!" That's a serious problem, and needs to be addressed.

I agree that it would be a major overreaction if literally all medications and treatments would be banned...and I am painfully aware that my overlords in the Canadian government absolutely love a good overreaction, usually followed by a plethora of useless knee-jerk feel-good new legislation...but it takes more than a salesclerk in a pet store to get me to push the panic button.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How hard is it to get people antibiotics there? A lot of fish meds are the same as people meds. I guess socialized medicine didn’t apply to animals!

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Before anybody blows a gasket, perhaps more information should be obtained from a legitimate source. Being told by a high-school student who works 6 hours a week in Petco does not mean that this is necessarily accurate.

The banning of antibiotics is long overdue; the overuse, abuse and misuse of these substances is causing numerous problems by fostering the accelerated evolution of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria that can create serious health risks for humans as well as animals. Read a few threads on Fishlore in which people casually comment on dosing their fish with an assortment of antibiotics and other substances, "just in case", or perhaps to treat some mysterious and unidentified condition. "I don't know what it is, so I'd better treat them with everything!" That's a serious problem, and needs to be addressed.

I agree that it would be a major overreaction if literally all medications and treatments would be banned...and I am painfully aware that my overlords in the Canadian government absolutely love a good overreaction, usually followed by a plethora of useless knee-jerk feel-good new legislation...but it takes more than a salesclerk in a pet store to get me to push the panic button.
It was my local Petvalu "chain store", the same 5 people have worked there for years and they pulled all medication from their shelves. When it is my only source of getting things local and the assistant manager tells me that this is so, i'm inclined to believe them especially when they've been ones that always had a different assortment of brands to choose from. I'm not even concerned about antibiotics in my situation.. I agree that they are misused. I'm just absolutely shocked that things like Paraguard have already been temporarily discontinued for a while, you can't get malachite green cocktails, and any organic/herbal remedies. I've found a solid 2 websites in the country to get Kordon Rid Ich Plus from and I have to pay $15 shipping for a $5 product and wait a week for it to get here while my fish have ich.

They don't even have an area on the shelves anymore for meds. Oh, Petsmart has nothing here either.

How hard is it to get people antibiotics there? A lot of fish meds are the same as people meds. I guess socialized medicine didn’t apply to animals!
Unless you happen to see them being sold online, you can't find antibiotics anywhere in physical stores

Toggle Sidebar

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 9 37.5%

Top Bottom