Fb Fish Groups (rant Warning)

jacob thompson

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
well I joined a Facebook fish group a few days ago to help people on a large scale. Only to find out that when you give correct stocking advice lots of people with mistocked tanks badger you and tell you theirs is fine and that you’re wrong. I know this is a rant it just upset me. One person said it’s fine to keep a group of 7 male dwarf gourami’s in a 40 gallon tank. Another said it was fine to keep opaline and kissing gourami’s in a tank with honey dwarf gourami’s without live plants or adaquate cover. Tried to explain how they were a completely different genus and the only relation is the family and the shared labrynith organ and that one is considered community and the other semiaggressive. Then 5 people talked about how their medium size tanks are fine with these combinations. Was I wrong? Did I give bad advice or did people just not want to accept the fact of mistocking?

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I stay off Facebook groups for this reason. I am in about 5 of them just to find stuff posted for sale. But other than that I don't read or comment on posts because it seems that the whole Facebook community thinks everything they do is perfect. So I get where you're coming from. I don't think you are/were wrong but a lot of them think they are completely right.

jacob thompson

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I’m just going to look at the pretty fish photos and keep my opinions to myself. They have some nice ads for Thailand bettas in the groups.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m not a stocking person. So I’m always pleased when someone has knowledge on the subject. But anytime I hear “it’s ok in a smaller tank, just keep up with water changes” I get a tad sick to my stomach. You’re not wrong.
Rant appreciated.

NYFishGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My LFS says the dwarf gouramis are ok together, usually has about 10-20 in 30 gallon and i don't see too much aggression looking at his tanks either.
He also won't stock apistos because he says they beat on everything.
I was watching a breeder with 150+ tanks talk about not even running any filtration on most of his tanks and letting plants "mother nature" do the work.
Surprised me, but it's got to be working for him.
There's a lot of gray areas in the aquarium hobby.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are lots of gray areas in anything however that comes with experience. You learn were you can bend the rules but normally its only newer hobbyists asking for advice. I was part of a betta forum for a very short time. I don't think anybody on there had a tank over a gallon, no filters, 100% water changes and most cautioned me my bettas would drown. Like I said very short time. Lol

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
david1978 said:
There are lots of gray areas in anything however that comes with experience. You learn were you can bend the rules but normally its only newer hobbyists asking for advice. I was part of a betta forum for a very short time. I don't think anybody on there had a tank over a gallon, no filters, 100% water changes and most cautioned me my bettas would drown. Like I said very short time. Lol
I'm sorry, but every time I hear that I have to laugh. Bettas drowning.. hahaha

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Seriously even on here I see many comments about lowering the water level so they can get to the surface for air. Trust me if they don't drown in my tank they won't drown in yours. Lol

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes the evil FB groups, I'm like Valerie I belong to several of them mainly looking for deals on equipment. It's not very often I post to those groups as well as some of the other groups that I belong to for other hobbies. The main reason I even have a FB account is to stay in touch with family overseas and friends I have made while I was in the Military.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My mom had facebook and used it to help me and they had correct info. But I joined our fish club and first thing I saw was "Lady dumps bleach in tank for revenge" Video played with no censor I cant un see it, have not been on face book since.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CanadianFishFan said:
My mom had facebook and used it to help me and they had correct info. But I joined our fish club and first thing I saw was "Lady dumps bleach in tank for revenge" Video played with no censor I cant un see it, have not been on face book since.
I hate the things I can’t unsee. This is horrible. Another example of why I rarely ever go on fb. My Doxie rescue group holds auctions for elderly doxies. Otherwise I’d just give fb a pass.
I’m so sorry you saw that.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have been invited to many 'private rooms ' ? Many have said I should be there or they need a ram guy . They need more then that IMO.
What is so private about 13,000 people ? Maybe them choosing who can talk about a topic ? It is the public and 'their friends' by the time you reach over 10k so invitation only ? Like if you don't agree why bother with you ?
I have absolutely zero interest in even visiting a 'site' that has no rules or moderation .People are badly behaved when in large groups ,especially with no control over them .
The most active people on these pages are know nothings [sorry] and sellers . ~
I have zero activity or friends on FB .Never going to use it till it is all business.Like I said most are just sellers anyways IMO .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom