Favourite Fish Keeping Books?

sairving

What are your favourite books about fish keeping, aquariums, aquatic plants, aquascaping, specific fish , etc?

I figured we could all benefit from sharing books that we liked. My other idea is to put together a list people could find useful as an information resource on various topics.

Plus, I'm always looking for a good read.

I read Aquascaping by George Farmer a few months back. It was straightforward and helpful when trying to come up with ideas for my current 5.5 gallon tank. He had a really nice appendix providing information on a specific plants. The book was well written and easy to understand.

I'm still trying to get through the Ecology of the Planted Aquarium.

There are a few more I'm interested in either picking up or seeing if it's available at the library.

BigManAquatics

Books on fish diseases and treatments not a bad resource tonhave around, though the good onea tend to be expensive, especially the one i have in mind, though can't think of the title offhand.

richiep

Here are three for inverts, vol 2&3 are for shrimp they each are English and German in the same volume
The book covers inverts! cray,shrimp,snails English only

BigManAquatics

I also often find the "....for dummies" series of books are nice to have access to, as they break things down super simple, in general. And yes, there is one for aquariums!

sairving

Books on fish diseases and treatments not a bad resource tonhave around, though the good onea tend to be expensive, especially the one i have in mind, though can't think of the title offhand.

That's a good idea. Resources on fish diseases and treatments didn't even occur to me last night. Added to my list.
I also often find the "....for dummies" series of books are nice to have access to, as they break things down super simple, in general. And yes, there is one for aquariums!

I've always enjoyed the For Dummies series. Last time I read one was before my cousins bar mitvah. I'm not Jewish and wanted to have some idea what was going on.

Rose of Sharon

I have the Manual on Fish Health, like Lucy, and that one is pretty good. I also have Fundamentals of Ornamental Fish Health, which is a bit more scholarly, as it is used as a vet text in some places.

I also have Dr. Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fish, which is a book with tons of pictures of freshwater fish, along with a legend that shows what ph, tank size, types of food, areas of the world that they come from, etc. This book is very, very expensive, but you can find old editions on-line. I think I saw the newest one being priced at almost $900.00, which is kind of crazy!

My next book will be one on aquascaping, so thanks so much for starting this thread!!!!

MyFishAddiction

I have the Manual on Fish Health, like Lucy, and that one is pretty good. I also have Fundamentals of Ornamental Fish Health, which is a bit more scholarly, as it is used as a vet text in some places.

I also have Dr. Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fish, which is a book with tons of pictures of freshwater fish, along with a legend that shows what ph, tank size, types of food, areas of the world that they come from, etc. This book is very, very expensive, but you can find old editions on-line. I think I saw the newest one being priced at almost $900.00, which is kind of crazy!

My next book will be one on aquascaping, so thanks so much for starting this thread!!!!
Darn you Axelrod! Do you KNOW how big of a tank I could get for that?!?

Rose of Sharon

I know, right!!!! When I saw that on Amazon, it kind of took my breath away!!! :)

sairving

Your welcome! I added the manual of fish health to my list. Used copies are really inexpensive. I'm going to check the library system to see what they have too. My library Science background is starting to say "pathfinder, this could make really good pathfinder material."

A pathfinder is usually 1-2 pages and provides information resources on a specific topic. They can include more than just books too depending on what it is about.

I think the suggestion of more scholarly information sources is a great idea. Sometimes people want to go beyond general information and just aren't sure where to look.

Looked it up, even a used copy is between $45-90. There is one listed as acceptable for $7.00 which means it's probably falling apart, been highlighted like crazy, and has notes scribbled all over it. lol

I just started reading The Betta Bible: The Art and Science of Keeping Bettas by Martin Brammah (kindle edition). So far it's been really interesting. Just finished the section about how bettas spread around the world. I also never realized that there are 70 species of bettas.

I searched library catalog for the county. They have 2 copies Dr. Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fish at the central library available in the reference section.

Rose of Sharon

Your welcome! I added the manual of fish health to my list. Used copies are really inexpensive. I'm going to check the library system to see what they have too. My library Science background is starting to say "pathfinder, this could make really good pathfinder material."

A pathfinder is usually 1-2 pages and provides information resources on a specific topic. They can include more than just books too depending on what it is about.

I think the suggestion of more scholarly information sources is a great idea. Sometimes people want to go beyond general information and just aren't sure where to look.

Looked it up, even a used copy is between $45-90. There is one listed as acceptable for $7.00 which means it's probably falling apart, been highlighted like crazy, and has notes scribbled all over it. lol

I just started reading The Betta Bible: The Art and Science of Keeping Bettas by Martin Brammah (kindle edition). So far it's been really interesting. Just finished the section about how bettas spread around the world. I also never realized that there are 70 species of bettas.
I was thinking about getting The Betta Bible, too, but have been putting it off. I made the mistake of getting a book about bettas, and all of the info was very general stuff. I donated it to the school library where I worked. If this one is better, then I may go ahead and get it.

sairving

I was thinking about getting The Betta Bible, too, but have been putting it off. I made the mistake of getting a book about bettas, and all of the info was very general stuff. I donated it to the school library where I worked. If this one is better, then I may go ahead and get it.

Its been an Interesting read so far. The author is a zoologist and breeder. You get a bit of science in the beginning, a bit about the domestication of betta splendins, some history on how various types were bred, and a section on fish fighting. He doesn't condone fish fights but wants people to understand its a sport in parts of the world. I just started the section on betta care.

SotaAquatics

Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist. by Diana Walstad.

PeterFishKeeping

I'm interested in what your favourite fish keeping books are, from info on species, plants, technquies, and guides

My favourite is Encyclopedia Of Aquarium And Pond Fish - David Alderton

Thunder_o_b

I got mine when I was young. Sadly the writing in the animal hide is fading......

DoubleDutch

I got mine when I was young. Sadly the writing in the animal hide is fading......
The animal itself is still running around with it ?

Thunder_o_b

The animal itself is still running around with it ?
Yeah, makes it hard to read. Night time is the best when it is sleeping, but the torch light flickers so much it gives me a headache.

Seriously, I find my 1981 twenty-seventh edition of "Exotic Tropical Fish" (Axelrod was one of the authors) is still helpful. I have somewhere a VERY worn copy from the early 70's.

The blue one is the one before me at this typing. I also have the yellow one.
Lot of 4x EXOTIC TROPICAL FISH AQUARIUM BOOKS ALL COMPLETE AND BOUND TIGHT EX | eBay

MacZ

Parchment? Modern humbug! I expected you to have stone engravings bound with bronze rings.

Thunder_o_b

Parchment? Modern humbug! I expected you to have stone engravings bound with bronze rings.
I did, but some old guy with a long beard and a funny hat took them. Mumbled something about needing a place to stick a sword... I don't know *shrug*

MacZ

I did, but some old guy with a long beard and a funny hat took them. Mumbled something about needing a place to stick a sword... I don't know *shrug*
Made my day! Thank you! :D

Jonahtheplecolvr

I'm interested in what your favourite fish keeping books are, from info on species, plants, technquies, and guides

My favourite is Encyclopedia Of Aquarium And Pond Fish - David Alderton
That is also my favorite book on fish, I was just reading it earlier today. My other favorite is sunken gardens by Karen A Randall. I got them for my birthday last year.

GenF211

This is a good one from 1982!
You must be registered to see images

DoubleDutch

This is a good one from 1982!
You must be registered to see images
So funny. I've several books (oldest from 1923) and lost THIS ONE. Great pictures a.s.o. Please send ik back to me hahaha.

GenF211

So funny. I've several books (oldest from 1923) and lost THIS ONE. Great pictures a.s.o. Please send ik back to me hahaha.
It is such a great book! I’m keeping it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bruxes and Bubbles
Replies
Views
Piaelliott
  • Question
Replies
Views
Basil