Favourite and least favourite fish/inverts

RiverFisher87

Just hoping on the wagon of trying to pass time while most are stuck and bored at home!

What’s you favourite and least favourite fish?

Favourite: Jack Dempsey
Least favourite: Any Plecos

Dunk2

Favorite: German Blue and Black Rams (sorry, it’s a tie ).
Least: Guppies

PascalKrypt

Are we talking that we own, or just hypothetical?

KingJamal2

A201

Favorite: Tie
- Nimbochromis Fuscotaeniatus
- Zebra Chilumba

Least:
- Flowerhorn

RiverFisher87

PascalKrypt said:
Are we talking that we own, or just hypothetical?
You can do either, or anything you ever owned, I’m just curious what others like and dislike

Addictedtobettas

Fav: Bettas... but there are some close seconds like Honey Gourami, Clown Killis, SAE and Gertrudes surprisingly

Least: Tetras, hands down. Rasboras because they remind me of Tetras.

PascalKrypt

Eh I'll just make two lists. Because why not.

That I own:
Favourite: Dojo Loach
Least: The glowlight tetras that came with a tank I bought second-hand. They're very hardy but eh. I forget I own them half the time.

Hypothethetical
Favourite: Vaillanti's Chocolate Gourami
Least: Balloon anything. Just. No.

Danny002

Favorite: apistogramma cacatuoides (cockatoo dwarf cichlid)- this one is mostly aesthetic as I have never owned one but would very much like to (they have them at my LFS occasionally so fingers crossed)
Least: Neon tetras and Guppies- I'm not a fan of huge schools of tiny fish, I often find that the fish's personalities are lost

goldface

I really enjoy my plecos. I have both a clown and bristlenose. Next favorite are my goldfish. My ember tetras are another favorite, although rather boring to watch, but they're the longest fish I have. I purchased them back in early Feb 2016, so over 4 years now!

I don't really enjoy my SAE. And I have a feeling it's going to be sticking around for a while, unless I find another home for it.

Addictedtobettas

scarface said:
I really enjoy my plecos. I have both a clown and bristlenose. Next favorite are my goldfish. My ember tetras are another favorite, although rather boring to watch, but they're the longest fish I have. I purchased them back in early Feb 2016, so over 4 years now!

I don't really enjoy my SAE. And I have a feeling it's going to be sticking around for a while, unless I find another home for it.
Not to sidetrack but I’m curious why the sae is a least fav?

Jaquatic

mattgirl

scarface said:

Send it to me so it can help me get a handle on this blasted BBA

Favorite species of fish: Hands down, Plecos
I do enjoy my neon and black skirt tetras but specially the neons, I love it when they all gather front and center each time they see me. I put my face up to the tank and all 15 of them come right up to me.

Least favorite: Mollies

GlennO

My favourites vary over time, currently I'm into Rainbowfish.
A fish that I don't like is the Chinese Algae Eater.

Jaquatic

I have to ask. Why all the hate on guppies? Haha

goldface

Addictedtobettas said:
Not to sidetrack but I’m curious why the sae is a least fav?
Just a very unpleasant character. Not someone you'd want to meet in a back alley. I suspect, but not witnessed, it was a cause of a few deaths over the months and yrs, which includes 2 Amano shrimp, a CPO, and another SAE. I thought a larger tank is what it needed, and it almost immediately started chewing on my goldfishes' fins. Had no issues with the other one I had.

mattgirl

scarface said:
Just a very unpleasant character. Not someone you'd want to meet in a back alley. I suspect, but not witnessed, it was a cause of a few deaths over the months and yrs, which includes 2 Amano shrimp, a CPO, and another SAE. I thought a larger tank is what it needed, and it almost immediately started chewing on my goldfishes' fins. Had no issues with the other one I had.
never mind. You can let it live out its life in your tank or find itself another home. I don't allow murderers in my tanks

MissPanda

Least favorite is a guppy.

My favourite is hard to pick. There's so many, but right now I'm all love for my rabbit snails. That's not really a fish though... so I guess I'll pick mud skipper. I seen some for sale in my LFS and I always wanted one of those slimy, bug eyed cuties ! One day....

goldface

mattgirl said:
never mind. You can let it live out its life in your tank or find itself another home. I don't allow murderers in my tanks
It's why I still have him, after all that. It would be incredibly irresponsible of me to let someone else have it. It's my burden to bear.

CoryBoi

FathomtheFish

Hypothetical:
Favorite - Lungfish of any kind. I love how cute and personable they are and they have these giant scales that I find fascinating. It's my dream to own some.
My LFS has two south-something lungs available for $100 a pop right now but that's not going to happen.

Least favorite - Glo-anything. I find them unnatural, unpersonable (lol that's not a word) and generally just not pleasing. I also don't really like tetras, except for the one I have named Pringle.

Fish I own:
Favorite - definitely my bettas and Pygmy cories. It's a tie. I love their puppy-like curiosity, intelligence, and personality. I can spend hours just watching my bettas play and the cories shuffle around.

Least favorite - my ember tetras. They'll be going to my friend soon though.

Sanderguy777

I think the favorite fish I own currently is a tie between my Giraffe cichlid and my turquoise angelfish (sorry, not sure if there is a more correct name, it has brown spots and a turquoise undertone).

Oops, forgot to dish out some hate LOL
Least favorite is probably the Chinese algae eaters at petsmart. Reminds me that I could have nice, polite, and well behaved SAE...if only I could find an LFS that stocked them LOL
That or the goldfish that Walmart sold while I worked there. The "what kind of food should I feed this poor animal I'm planning to put in a jar that is too small for jam" ones...

Wardonianfungus

fish that I have:
Favorite is Rainbow shark. I love the way they swim
Least favorite: is my two male mollies. They bully my female molly too much. I can’t do anything for her though because I can’t give her to anyone.

Fish that I don’t have:
Betta imbellis. I spelled that wrong but they have the best colors.
Least favorite: glo fish.

PascalKrypt

Johnb114 said:
I have to ask. Why all the hate on guppies? Haha
Because they are so commonly kept I think. People just get bored with everyone owning a guppy and people outside of the hobby thinking that that's all what fishkeeping is about, breeding guppies.

I don't really hate them but certain common colours get really boring to look at after seeing them for 20 years in every pet store and every other person's home, all carbon copies. It's the same reason I don't really enjoy goldfish, even though I really like koi.

Sanderguy777 said:
I think the favorite fish I own currently is a tie between my Giraffe cichlid and my turquoise angelfish (sorry, not sure if there is a more correct name, it has brown spots and a turquoise undertone).

Oops, forgot to dish out some hate LOL
Least favorite is probably the Chinese algae eaters at petsmart. Reminds me that I could have nice, polite, and well behaved SAE...if only I could find an LFS that stocked them LOL
That or the goldfish that Walmart sold while I worked there. The "what kind of food should I feed this poor animal I'm planning to put in a jar that is too small for jam" ones...
I want to see a picture of that angelfish! That sounds spectacular.

Jaquatic

Okay fair enough! Can definitely understand that point of view

chromedome52

Favorite fish of all time - Pink Diamond Tetra, Rhoadsia altipinna. A tetra that breeds in a pit like a cichlid, but the male guards the eggs and often the wiggler fry. Not to mention the actual mating act is something that belongs on a **** channel!

UNfavorite - Melanotaenia Rainbowfish. I love the little Blue Eyes, but regular Rainbows are boring and require too much attention.

Sanderguy777

PascalKrypt said:
Because they are so commonly kept I think. People just get bored with everyone owning a guppy and people outside of the hobby thinking that that's all what fishkeeping is about, breeding guppies.

I don't really hate them but certain common colours get really boring to look at after seeing them for 20 years in every pet store and every other person's home, all carbon copies. It's the same reason I don't really enjoy goldfish, even though I really like koi.

I want to see a picture of that angelfish! That sounds spectacular.
I'll try to get one posted soon, but I'm out of the house right now...

Sanderguy777

The last one is just a mustang I saw when I was at Home Depot for play sand. No relation real or imagined to angelfish living or dead LOL

PascalKrypt

Sanderguy777 said:

The last one is just a mustang I saw when I was at Home Depot for play sand. No relation real or imagined to angelfish living or dead LOL
Usually not a big fan of Angelfish but that one looks pretty cool to me!

jkkgron2

Favorite: Angelfish, they are one of the most personalitible (did I spell that right? ) fish I’ve ever owned and even though I’ve not even owned them for a year they just seem so much more intelligent than most of the other fish I own!

Least Favorite: Honestly any sort of tetra, they just die on me to much..when they do survive I love them but they just die on me to often

flyinGourami

I haven't owned many species of fish, but for the ones I have I love most of them... (sorry can't choose)
Favorite: Neon tetra, corydoras, bettas and goldfish lol that's literally 4 out of six species I own of fish.
Least favorite: Oto catfish.
And the guppys are just there. I mean they are fun to look at but I just don't really like their personalities.
Fish I would want to own are angel fish, black neons, harlequins, basically almost any basic "Beginner" fish. I wouldn't really want are black skirt tetras, mollies, rainbow sharks, flowerhorns, plecos, kissing gourami

Sanderguy777

bgntoc said:
I haven't owned many species of fish, but for the ones I have I love most of them... (sorry can't choose)
Favorite: Neon tetra, corydoras, bettas and goldfish lol that's literally 4 out of six species I own of fish.
Least favorite: Oto catfish.
And the guppys are just there. I mean they are fun to look at but I just don't really like their personalities.
Fish I would want to own are angel fish, black neons, harlequins, basically almost any basic "Beginner" fish. I wouldn't really want are black skirt tetras, mollies, rainbow sharks, flowerhorns, plecos, kissing gourami
Why not the plecos? Common plecos or the entirety of Plecodom?
I urge you to google zebra and gold nugget plecos. They might change your mind LOL

Littlebudda

Favourite fish I own currently would have to be my pair of Oscars they really are sweet fish.

least favourite I owe is probably my severum, he is just a total d-bag all the time and picks on everything in the tank also eats anything you try to grow.

favourite I have owned in the past either my chocolate Cichlids or keyholes.

least favourite I’ve owned common gold fish that got me into fish keeping.

favourite I’d like to own Jaguar cichlid

least favourite are bettas

Pythia

Favorite: clown pleco
Least favorite: bichirs (they creep me out.)

Convoluted77

Fav.Emerald dwarf rasbora

Least fav.probobly plecos

flyinGourami

Sanderguy777 said:
Why not the plecos? Common plecos or the entirety of Plecodom?
I urge you to google zebra and gold nugget plecos. They might change your mind LOL
Thanks! Idk, I just see negative things about them frequently(which isn't good) but sure.
I think I just mostly dislike common plecos because of the size. I know I know I like goldfish which get big sometimes and I also love koI which are giant but idk personal prefrence I guess. Haha. I googled the plecos you suggested and I must admit they are really pretty.

vampireshrimpfan

bogmummy

I don't think I've been in the hobby long enough to choose a favorite, but my least favorite is definitely goldfish. I know fancies don't get as big but the look... weird. shubunkins are kind of cute though.

bgntoc said:
Thanks! Idk, I just see negative things about them frequently(which isn't good) but sure.
I think I just mostly dislike common plecos because of the size. I know I know I like goldfish which get big sometimes and I also love koI which are giant but idk personal prefrence I guess. Haha. I googled the plecos you suggested and I must admit they are really pretty.
While we're talking about pretty plecos, can I just attach a pic of a blue phantom real quick. Theyre like 6 inches if memory serves

Falena

I could write whole page answering this question (mostly the favorite part) so I'm going to have to include a few lol

Favourites: Betta macrostoma, microphis deocata, bristlenose pleco and yoyo loach!

Least favourite: Anything short bodied or balloon. Or any long finned fish where it affects their wellbeing or mobility. In fact the only long finned fish I really love are my long finned bristlenoses. Because they're the only fish I know where it doesn't negatively impact them in one way or another.

RiverFisher87

Falena said:
I could write whole page answering this question (mostly the favorite part) so I'm going to have to include a few lol

Favourites: Betta macrostoma, microphis deocata, bristlenose pleco and yoyo loach!

Least favourite: Anything short bodied or balloon. Or any long finned fish where it affects their wellbeing or mobility. In fact the only long finned fish I really love are my long finned bristlenoses. Because they're the only fish I know where it doesn't negatively impact them in one way or another.
So true, like fish that have a hard time swimming are just super unpleasant to look at too, they just make the tank simply unpleasant and peaceful

aquafrogg

Favorite: African dwarf frog, but if you REALLY want me to pick a fish then betta.

Least favorite: out of the things I’ve owned, mystery snails. They keep the tank clean of mulm but bulldoze everything inside it. I also don’t like neons or cardinals because I don’t like the way they look and think they’re overrated

RiverFisher87

Sunflower said:
Favorite: African dwarf frog, but if you REALLY want me to pick a fish then betta.

Least favorite: out of the things I’ve owned, mystery snails. They keep the tank clean of mulm but bulldoze everything inside it. I also don’t like neons or cardinals because I don’t like the way they look and think they’re overrated
I don’t get all the excitement over Bettas, to be I never really have a actual large betta tank, but the way I see them is fish that are made for small solo tanks. No offence or anything. But don't get me wrong they are very beautiful fish.

aoiumi

Favorite: A lot of things but to pick 'one', anything in the betta complex. I love the body shape, the patterns, and the personality. Some others include cories, plecos, goldfish, angels, and possibly al fish ever.

Least favorite: anything that should have been culled when it appeared in the gene pool because it doesn't live a very good life, but has become a strain instead.

I haven't kept a lot of fish though, so I might find there's some fish which I just don't care for, but I kinda love fish a lot.

aquafrogg

RiverFisher87 said:
I don’t get all the excitement over Bettas, to be I never really have a actual large betta tank, but the way I see them is fish that are made for small solo tanks. No offence or anything. But don't get me wrong they are very beautiful fish.
I totally understand, however bettas are perfectly fine in larger tanks. My betta is in a 10 gallon with my African dwarf frog and nerite snail. That’s the biggest tank I can have currently because I’m going to college next year and can only have 20 gallons or under in dorms, however I could go a lot bigger and my betta would be fine. I just like their personalities and how they are all different, while schooling fish all tend to blend together and not have too much uniqueness between them (personality, looks, etc). But that’s just my opinion!

RiverFisher87

Sunflower said:
I totally understand, however bettas are perfectly fine in larger tanks. My betta is in a 10 gallon with my African dwarf frog and nerite snail. That’s the biggest tank I can have currently because I’m going to college next year and can only have 20 gallons or under in dorms, however I could go a lot bigger and my betta would be fine. I just like their personalities and how they are all different, while schooling fish all tend to blend together and not have too much uniqueness between them (personality, looks, etc). But that’s just my opinion!
True, I must say I wouldn’t want to spend more then a 20 gallon tank on a betta, I just think for tanks larger then that it’s a waste, they are great fish for small bedside stands or just around you house in general.

FinalFins

I have a lot of fish I love, but there's a three way tie for first.

Favourite- LeopoldI angelfish, Wild discus, spotted congo puffers.

Least favourite- guppies. Not much of a personality, mine really just floats around his tank.

aoiumi

RiverFisher87 said:
True, I must say I wouldn’t want to spend more then a 20 gallon tank on a betta, I just think for tanks larger then that it’s a waste, they are great fish for small bedside stands or just around you house in general.
Okay, but have you seen a betta in a larger tank? They love it! They're so incredibly active, and depending on the betta, in a 20 gal you could easily add cories, or another bottom dweller, or a peaceful mid-dweller, or some other fish that wouldn't go for the betta. They can easily be the centerpiece of a community tank.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom