Favorite Unique/ Exotic Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by ShannonDago, Apr 13, 2017.

1. ShannonDago

ShannonDago New Member Member

I am in the process of planning a 75 gallon planted low tech tank... with the possibility of CO2 in the future. I will be building a sump for it (hopefully 20gl).
    I love unique fish for example- spiny eels, hogchocker, pipefish, aferican butterfly, glass cats, bamboo shrimp, and gobys. I'm not afraid of difficult fish to keep. Any ideas of unique fish would be great! ... hopefully I put this in the correct spot

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

My favorite exotic/considered an exotic, would be arowana...but you'll need a much bigger tank for those guys! If you really want something beautiful, and if you aren't afraid of a challenge, discus are wonderful. That of course depends on the dimensions of your tank. Flowerhorns are also very unique and wonderful as well. Snakeheads (Channidae) are cool, but may restrict what else you can have (they have fangs!). Also, I love zebra pleco. You can no longer import them from native Brazil, but you can get them from breeders in the US (they're fair game here! It's breeding, not cheating :p)
    Alright, those are some I can think of rn in terms of "exotic".

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

I love Dojo Loaches. They are fun to watch and have a lot of personality

4. OP
    OP
    ShannonDago

I love the zebra plecos $$$ ... I need to wait till the USA gets really good at breeding them so hopefully they will fall into my budget :) And discus are beautiful but they require such warm water that it limits me on other tank mates. My tank it about 20 inches tall and 4ft long. I will have to do some research on flowerhorns but I thought they got huge. Thanks for the great ideas!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  5. Mike the fish keeper

If you cant afford a zebra pleco, leopard frog plecos are just as pretty and dont cost as much

6. OP
    OP
    ShannonDago

Kuhli loaches caught me eye at my LFS and I am in love with them and the dojo loaches. I am hoping I will be able to keep one of the two species in the tank!

That was my second choice for a pleco. I have seen so many pictures of them and some of them are very contrasting and others are faded with the lines blending together. Do you know if they fade a lot as they age? If I find a beautiful one I wasent sure what would happen as it grows.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  7. Mike the fish keeper

Some will fade as they age others wont. It's hard to tell when they are young

8. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

I am not sure if a sump would be good for a Planted CO2 tank. You would have a lot of wasted CO2.

9. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

As far as plecos I'd get 2 bristle nose long fins, a super red and a chocolate, both are exotic looking and good algae eaters. Other fish you might want are Asian butterfly, elephant nose, baby whale, hatchet fish, half beak, rope fish, tiger botia, kribensis, Altum angelfish, zig zag eel, and if I could get the cobwebs out of my brain I could think of a lot more that would fit in your tank.

10. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

Gouramis all the way.

11. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I was just going to say dojos! I love mine! Unfortunately dojos prefer cooler water to kuhlis.

12. redorchestra

redorchestra Valued Member Member

Wrestling half beaks! They are small but s<oooo cool

13. OP
    OP
    ShannonDago

I would really like to stay away from CO2 and just stick with mosses, anubias, java, bucephalandra, and crypts. I have herd of others having a sump with CO2 but I would much rather have the sump than CO2.

14. OP
    OP
    ShannonDago

I totally forgot about the elephant nose! I love them :) I have never herd of a baby whale so I will have to look it up. Rope fish are really cool too.

15. OP
    OP
    ShannonDago

I really like the dwarf gouramis. They seem like they would fit in a community tank well :)

16. OP
    OP
    ShannonDago

That's a great idea! All I could find for top water was aferican butterfly, hatchets. From the pictures i see it looks like the half beaks would stay up top.

17. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

I love any of the snake like ones. Dojo loaches, ropefish, eels... ect. My rope thinks he is a dojo, he'll curl up with his "girlfriend" Sandy while my other two Diego and California (see what I did there?) are off by them selves. Sometimes I'll catch all four of them together.
    I'd love to get a flower horn but they are loners because they'll kill everything in the tank. But there is one at a Pet Traders by me that will follow your around, and I don't doubt for a minute he'd try and take your hand off if you stuck it in the tank.
    Gobys are awesome but brackish water (DARN!) African butterfly fish look like some kind of alien hybrid but stay on the small side.i call mine Tinkerbell.

18. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

I find co2 to be had on the fish, I got 12 plecos from the some batch, 6 went in a co2 tank and 6 went into a non co2 tank. after 6 months the fish in the co2 tank were half the size of the non co2 tank. Did the same thing with nerite snails, and the ones in the co2 all died, the non co2 all lived. so my suggestion is no co2, the lighting seems to be very important in growing plants. I see you do live in nor Cal so if you want a deal on a really good co2 system let me know. 3 pictures, the first is a co2 tank and the second and 3 are not co2.

Attached Files:

19. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned freshwater puffers yet...

20. Fishboy321

Fishboy321 Valued Member Member

If you want pretty you should get about 3 or 4 discus and like. 10 schooling tetras

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice