Favorite Floating Plants?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,058
Reaction score
9,021
Points
608
Experience
2 years
Believe it or not, but my duckweed has started growing 2+" long roots, and getting a deep purple on the bottom. I believe it does this in higher light conditions, but it really surprised me to see it this pretty color with long roots.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
331
Points
98
Experience
1 year
qchris87 said:
Red Root Floaters are cool
TexasDomer said:
Believe it or not, but my duckweed has started growing 2+" long roots, and getting a deep purple on the bottom. I believe it does this in higher light conditions, but it really surprised me to see it this pretty color with long roots.
Smalltownfishfriend said:
I like water lettuce!!!!
Fanatic said:
Water Spangles, and Frogbit are my favorites.
I also love duckweed!
These are really nice suggestions! I really like the idea of maybe mixing duckweed ( I have a pretty strong light with heat protection, hopefully it won't get burned) and some of those red root floaters. That sounds super pretty! Thanks yall.
 

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Messages
3,950
Reaction score
2,228
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, love the look of azolla... it's pretty interesting, and not many have them..


Other than that, I would suggest lotus or lillies! I love the way how they look underwater...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
331
Points
98
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
IMO, love the look of azolla... it's pretty interesting, and not many have them..


Other than that, I would suggest lotus or lillies! I love the way how they look underwater...
I love the look of mosquito fern but shrimp have a pretty good taste for them and eat them readily. I love the way they look too, very cool looking.
 

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
953
Points
128
Experience
5 to 10 years
Red rooters! they look like creepy jellyfish. My bamboo shrimp hang upside down on them.

I’ve never heard of mosquito fern or azolli. I’ll have to look it up.
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,058
Reaction score
9,021
Points
608
Experience
2 years
Apparently azolla is really hard to grow in aquariums - most people try and fail. Outside ponds (lots of sunlight) with little water movement are apparently great for it though.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
331
Points
98
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
Apparently azolla is really hard to grow in aquariums - most people try and fail. Outside ponds (lots of sunlight) with little water movement are apparently great for it though.
I've seen Foo the Flowerhorn (youtuber with amazing walstad tanks) grow it, though his amanos and blue velvet shrimps devour it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
331
Points
98
Experience
1 year
CanadianFishFan said:
dont we all love duckweed :> *smirk smile*
I've got a single piece that is growing in my 10 gallon with my betta, and once it takes off I'll take a clump and move it to the 30.
 

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Messages
2,981
Reaction score
4,015
Points
308
Experience
2 years
I like Hornwort and Java Moss. I wrap bunches of each with fishing line tie it to a suction cup. Gives the fry a place to hid also. And the shrimp hang upside down on them. Frogbit is also another. Have fun deciding. Good Luck.
 

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
2,158
Points
298
Experience
3 years
FriarThomasIII said:
I've got a single piece that is growing in my 10 gallon with my betta, and once it takes off I'll take a clump and move it to the 30.
Once you get enough you have to take it out weekly in big clumps.... My poor bettas have trouble finding food in the thicc layer of duckweed. Also i want to try some water lettuce it is pretty!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
331
Points
98
Experience
1 year
CanadianFishFan said:
Once you get enough you have to take it out weekly in big clumps.... My poor bettas have trouble finding food in the thicc layer of duckweed. Also i want to try some water lettuce it is pretty!
Very pretty with massive roots, plus they sometimes have little white flowers.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom