Favorite Fish-related Shows/movies?

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite shows was this show on Animal Planet called "Tanked"

It followed these two guys who owned a company that made MASSIVE custom fish tanks for clients, celebrities, so on.

One thing I liked is how they showed them going to the fish farms, and they would usually describe the fish and what it's known for and what it does. It wasn't just "here's a fish, and we poured it in here".

The show made it a point to show the entire process. The building, installation, and the selection of fish. It was awesome, and being someone who enjoys the hobby, it was cool to see so many celebrities I recognize and love also enjoying the hobby (obviously on a bigger and richer scale..)

They sadly are cancelling it after it's last season

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They didn't show the 80% die off rate though on tanked.

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
david1978 said:
They didn't show the 80% die off rate though on tanked.
What do you mean? I didn't know they had an issue with that...

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It makes good tv. Long term not so much.

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is one show I disliked a lot. Other than just plopping fish in a new tank, they put them in odd places. I saw one where they had a skate board ramp on it, to me that's cruel to the critters in the tank.

But as for my favorite fishy kinda show that would be any of the wildlife ocean shows. I love the ocean ones, with the coral and odd fish!

Zeeth29

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
River Monsters and the Blue Planet series are my favorite. The sheer size of those fish Jeremy Wade catches are just jaw dropping and sometimes a little scary. Blue Planet on the other hand showcases the majesty of our oceans and some of the visuals are pretty amazing.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tanked is there to entertain you, they are putting fish in bad conditions in pretty much every show, Heather(one of the ladies on the show) had a betta in a flower pot on her tank. And it one episode they made this kid a 9g tank stocked with: like 3 rainbow sharks, 2 bala sharks, some guppies, albino Cory cats and a bunch of other fish. That show doesn’t even follow the inch per gallon thing

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
AJE said:
Tanked is there to entertain you, they are putting fish in bad conditions in pretty much every show, Heather(one of the ladies on the show) had a betta in a flower pot on her tank. And it one episode they made this kid a 9g tank stocked with: like 3 rainbow sharks, 2 bala sharks, some guppies, albino Cory cats and a bunch of other fish. That show doesn’t even follow the inch per gallon thing
You know...now that you point it out I am realizing how messed up a lot of their stocking was.

I think I was just focusing more on the crazy tanks they built more than the fish...

Wolf010

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What about Finding Nemo XD

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
david1978 said:
There's all kinds of articles on them. Some people have actually sued them.
https://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Low-survival-rate-for-Tanked-fish-5487950.php
not a very good article to prove your point.... the owner admits it was his fault ""I was upset because I thought everything was going to go perfect, and it didn't," Allen said. In retrospect, he said "I've never had a tank where everything works just perfect. I should have known and not got cocky.""

"Allen signed a 10-page agreement with the "Tanked" production company that detailed a specific protocol on how to care for the fish. The agreement released the production company from responsibility if any fish died after the show was filmed, but the document stated the tank owner should hire a professional to provide ongoing maintenance. It also stated: "After the production company is finished filming you will need to find a home for the excess livestock in the aquarium, if any."

It's an important point.

"Tanked" overstocks the aquariums for filming, said Izzy Capuano, technical advisor for the show. Capuano owns Infinity Aquarium in Las Vegas and often appears on "Tanked." He is the expert who monitored the wine bottle tank in the days after the film crew left. "All the fish you see for filming, typically, a big percentage are pulled out and either reintroduced slowly or kept out," Capuano said in a telephone interview."

i've watched all 15 seasons of Tanked. they build the tanks, but ultimately its the owners that are responsible for upkeep and maintenance of their tanks and the fish in them. Tracy Morgan even had 3 tanks built by ATM...his sharks from the 1st build were moved to the 3rd and final build in the show's finale.

and Shaq had 2 tanks built, and i believe Dwight Howard had 2 built also.

i've also watched all episodes of River Monsters.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom