Favorite "big" Fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by happygolucky, Apr 12, 2017.

1. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Though my 75g is currently a community, I am looking into possibly a 40g for them and getting an "interactive", large centerpiece fish in the 75g. I have looked into Oscars and flower horns, but does anyone else have preferences or suggestions? The fish would be housed alone if necessary.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I like African Cichlids

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Fancy goldfish!

4. DutchMutch

DutchMutch New Member Member

if its a bare bottom tank and you are committed to keeping pristine water with correct parameters I suggest discus.

5. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

A big ranchu tank is definitely in my future, but sadly I will be unable to afford the high-quality ranchu from Dandy Orandas for awhile. Doesn't stop me from drooling over the auctions though.

How many discus would fit in a 75g? I love them, but prices on adults are just way too high for me, and juvies are apparently very difficult to keep.

6. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

I dunno about cichlids, I can't even bare to see my angel chase my pearl gouramis away from food. Are there any that like to be housed alone?

7. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

I dunno about cichlids, I can't even bare to see my angel chase my pearl gouramis away from food. Are there any that like to be housed alone?

8. DutchMutch

maybe five or six imo, your tank a standard seventy five? whats the dimensions?
    in a sixty five I would only keep a breeding pair, standard sixty five. if the tank is longer (say 3 ft) than the more you could have. Fish stock isn't all about gallons, also is about dimensions.

9. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

It is a standard 75g, I think 4ft long? 18in tall? 2ft wide?

Raising juvies may be an exciting summer project for me...gotta find the money somewhere

10. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Electric blue acaras, blue acaras, jack dempseys, and green terrors are all options for "wet pets" that don't get as big as oscars (which will outgrow a 75g). You could have more than one EBA, or one of any of the others, plus some dither fish.

A non-cichlid option could be a dojo loach, many people who have them say they are super-friendly and interactive.

11. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

If you like a big cichlid with a bit of fire, you could always try a Red Devil cichlid. I believe the minimum for them is a 75. They live up to their name, so keep a close watch on your fingers during maintenance! Amazing fish though, one of my dream cichlids.

12. DutchMutch

that's a good size honestly, I would try 5 at first, juvies or adults doesn't matter. Then see from there. :)

13. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

discus, definitely. You can go with 7 juvies and/or adults in the 75.

14. zcpetty

zcpetty Well Known Member Member

Anytime someone suggests an eba i must agree. :p thats mine in my pfile pic. They are like nicer smaller prettier oscars. Same basic body type.

15. littlemissdiva9

littlemissdiva9 Valued Member Member

I love oscars, flowerhorn and parrots. I also love starry night chichilds.

16. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

Flier cichlids? I kept a pair in a 75 before with some dither fish. Never bothered them until spawning but they didn't go out of their way to attack the dithers. They just chased them out of their territory. Lookup Archocentrus Centrarchus

17. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

For a single big fish, I'd get a male Red Devil. Don't bother to grow one, just go find the one you like. There's should be lots of them out there that people would be happy to get rid of. When I owned a store I had a Red Devil that I sold at least 10 times, I called him rent-o-devil because all but the last owner of him tried to mix him with other fish. I would warn them of his attitude, but they all said the fish in they're tank were real tough guys and there wouldn't be a problem. They would bring him back in a day or two after he'd destroy most of the fish in they're tank! I finally found someone that bought him and kept him alone in a big tank, the customer said rent-o-fish was the best fish he ever owned!

18. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I agree. Whenever I put my hand in their tank my two swim over and sit in my hand or nibble my fingers. They are social. They are also one of the few fish I would recommend with goldfish so you could get some dojos then add an oranda or two when you get them. I would definitely recommend 2 fancy goldfish and about 3 dojos:) Maybe I'm a bit biased though:p

19. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You could do 8 discus in a 75, IMO.

20. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If you wanted a single large fish that was going to be interactive in a 75 I would go with a flowerhorn. Very pretty and very aggressive which makes them perfect for a wet pet. You probably wouldn't be able to keep anything else with it.

Other large cichlids that would fit in a 75 that would be pretty interactive would be blood parrots, green terrors, texas cichlids, or red devils. You could probably keep multiple blood parrots in a 75 together which is fun but I don't think I'd try that with any of the others mentioned.

Really though you can make most fish interactive and friendly if you raise them from very young and are willing to put the time commitment in. I have 8 young sajicas in my 55 growing out that are extremely friendly and zoom to the front of the tank anytime i enter the room. They also eat from my fingers.

Dojo's are also a great suggestion. I am currently keeping 3 in my 75 and they like to come get petted whenever my hands are in the tank. Very curious, very fun to watch, and very friendly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice