Faulty Heater?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Masoud, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Masoud

MasoudNew MemberMember

hello guys i have a 25 gal tank,4 zebra danios 4 guppies 6 neon tetras in it,all doin great
    a powerful internal filter in the tank,creating enough surface disturbance for oxygen
    a 100 watt heater set at 25 c
    last night i noticed something,that guppies and danios spending their most time at surface,at first thought its from lack of oxygen,then i turned off the heater,1 hour later they are all over the tank
    can a heater get faulty? like faulty termostat? for example i set it at 25 but its actually heating the tank more than that?
    i noticed it works only about 5 min every 30 min

2. Falena

FalenaValued MemberMember

Hi, heaters can indeed have faults occasionally. Do you have a thermometer in your tank to make sure the temperature is actually correct? heaters that run on thermostats only come on when the water drops below set temperature so it will turn off and on as and when is needed, if anything every 30 mins sounds like quite a lot. Also the danios do prefer cooler water than the guppys and tetras, 25 is a the top end of their temperature tolerance so they could be a little warm but it shouldn't affect the others. How long has the tank been running and is it cycled?

3. OP
    OP
    Masoud

MasoudNew MemberMember

the tank is over one year old,it is cycled,had an thermometer it was showing between 24 and 26,got a digital today checked the temp showing 27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,removed the heater gonna get a new one tommarow,thanks for the help

4. Falena

FalenaValued MemberMember

Ah! sometimes analogue thermometers (the ones you stick on the glass) can be a bit unpredictable due to room temperature affecting the result, submersibles are better and digital even moreso. Glad you got a better thermometer and are going to get a new heater too! hopefully, your fish will return to their usual behaviour in no time :) and no problem at all