Faulty Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Emily H, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Emily HNew MemberMember

So I'm a novice when it comes to fish keeping, I've Neve rhad a fish more less a tank with multiple fish before. I bought my first tank about a month and a half ago, I set up my bubbler, filter, light, decorations etc. I follow all the instructions included in the products and I formation online exactly. I've noticed that my filter doesn't out out much water but, is putting out water. I let it cycle for about 2 weeks and after I got good water readings I then bought 2 telescope goldfish. I incorporate them in the tank perfectly. Yesterday I woke up and one of my fish had died, I was heart broken, I flushed him and sent him to the big tank in the sky and then set out to find out what the issue was. I had done a water change and maintained the tank how you're supposed to. I was so frustrated because I had believed everything was fine. I tested my water and my ammonia was high, I panicked and started reading and then I realized it must be my filter, I pulled the thing out and was pulling it apart and cleaning everything but my media to preserve my bacteria. I realized the tub sucking the water into my filter had 2 parts, and one was on backwards, NO WHERE in the instructions of filter did it say anything about it, I pulled them out a few minutes ago and read them over and there is nothing. I flipped the tube plugged it in, and it works fine, I was furious, this company has killed my fish. I blame myself partially but, it's not exclusively my ignorance to blame, I'm calling the customer service line tomorrow to let them know what happened in case other filters have been sold with the same issue, if you have a Tetra Whisper PF for a 5-10g please make sure you do not have the same issue.

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Hi, welcome to fishlore!

How big is your tank and what is the ammonia reading right now?

3. Emily HNew MemberMember

Howdy, it's a 10g, and I have no clue, out of test strips but I plan to get more tomorrow, I think the issue is fixed but, I'll be keeping a close eye ️.

4. dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

Hello and welcome to Fishlore!

How big is your tank?

5. Emily HNew MemberMember

It's a 10g

6. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

If you can, I'd pick up a api freshwater testing kit. I would imagine that you are high in ammonia because the tank is only 10 gallons. It is likely still high in ammonia, goldfish are massive poop factories!

7. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Seeing as tetra whisper filters are made in-mass - they don't have a good track record as being much more than a cheap easy to get a hold of filter, however most of the time the company will provide a replacement as long as you contact them about the issue in a manner that is calm and civil - that being said goldfish are huge bioloads for a small tank like a ten gallon, they are not suited for a such a small space as some can get to ten inches, at least a 40 gallon is recommended depending on the species/type of fancy goldfish as commons need ponds to really grow to their full potential (18+ inches). My understanding of the filters is to follow the diagram not the directions/instructions as they aren't accurate.
    For a goldfish in that small of a tank you would need to be doing 50%+ water changes at least twice a week to keep levels in an okay range. Test strips, as soon as they are opened and come in contact with the air, start to activate which may cause them to give false readings which can harm your fish.
    If you want to keep your fish buddy I would look at getting him a bigger tank, getting it cycled for him, and solving those issues before trying to get another fish to be his friend.

On another not, do not flush fish if you waste system somehow connects to a wider area (lakes or streams) any disease they carry may affect wildlife.

8. Emily HNew MemberMember

Will not flush fish anymore, never thought about that. My high ammonia was due to the fact that my filter wasn't doing anything, I'm going to be watching over the next few days to see how things go and if I need a bigger tank I'll look into it, thank you :)

9. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Hate saying it but are you sure your tank was cycled? If it was cycled there would have been 0 ammonia. That is more likely what killed your fish, not the filter. Mcasella is right, get a liquid test kit, the strips are not accurate enough.

Also, fancy Goldie's need a minimum 20g plus 10g per fish.

10. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Whoops, posted before I saw your response.

11. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I don't think the high ammonia was entirely due to the filter not working correctly, however, it could have been part of the problem. 2 fancy gold fish in a 10 gallon tank is going to create A LOT of ammonia. Waiting 2 weeks for the tank to cycle doesn't usually cycle it either. Your gold fish is going to get very big and is going to need a bigger tank.

12. Emily HNew MemberMember

The filter was not working, I know what went wrong, please read the entire post before responding, it wasn't sucking in ANY water.

13. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I'm not denying that. But if an improperly cycled tank is overloaded with ammonia (fish waste) it will kill your fish. There's still the chance that even if your filter had been working, the ammonia could have killed one. Cycling a tank can take up to two months with out additives.

What are your water parameters? You'll probably need to do a fish in cycle.

14. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Correct it wasn't sucking in water, I'm sure they understand this. But that's the problem with goldfish, they produce a lot of poop, which is converted to ammonia as it degrades (if you were doing daily water changes of 15% this would be kept at bay) - for an uncycled tank (unless you were adding ammonia to jump start the cycle just running it with water is not cycling) this can be an issue, not just the ammonia is harmful either (ah the "hobby" of fish keeping), nitrites and nitrates both can harm fish if they are too high.
    I see you know the nitrogen cycle but putting two goldies in may have thrown it off quite a bit. Most of the people responing are concerned over the last fish, but for right now we should be working on the filter - i just upgraded one of my tanks to a 40 gallon sponge filter, this might be a better option as they are very cheap and work really well, plus your goldie can nibble on it during the day when he is hungry (which is always they have no stomach it goes right through them). I would do 20% daily water changes for the next couple weeks to help complete your cycle in the mean time.

@2211Nighthawk OP has stated they need to get more testing supplies before they can provide that information.