Father's Day Kitty

Kai

I have two cats at home, Jock (~ 4 years old) and Goblin (~2 years old), both males and both are neutered. I actually, don't remember a time when I didn't have at least one cat at home.

This morning, Jock came home with... not a rat nor bird in his mouth. Instead, he unceremoniously dropped before me a bedraggled, plaintively mewling, orange kitten and without any further ado, turned his back on me and left. My mother thinks that the kitten's incessant crying probably drove all the prey away, hence my cat's brilliant idea to get rid of the noise by dropping it at my feet. At least he didn't kill poor thing.

When Jock came back after terrorizing the birds in the garden, I asked him, "Why did you bring me a kitten? Do you feel any maternal instincts? Did you want to celebrate Father's Day by adopting your own whelp?"

Silence.

"What's his name?"

Silence.

"Okay, fine. His name is Bingo." (Spur of the moment. Reminded me of Nissin's orange flavored Bingo sandwich cookies)

Bingo wails some more and Jock abandons me again.

After cleaning him up with a warm wet cloth and bundling him up in towels (in Goblin's cage, to which the original owner protested... very loudly) I found out it was a "he" and he has open blue eyes, deciduous canines, a curious but slightly shaky gait. I guage his age at about 3 weeks. He can barely lap up water from a shallow dish and he tried a few hesitant bites of fish. The last time I hand reared kittens was, well, a long while ago when I was a kid and didn't have anything else to do but feed 2 tiny kittens evaporated milk with a tuberculin syringe every 2 hours for 3 weeks.

I left him in Goblin's cage, walked out to the closest pet store and bought some kitten formula along with a nursing bottle. Ironically, he hates the nursing bottle but laps up from a syringe. He can't poop or pee by himself just yet. So here I am being a cat mom again. But, you know, with a face like that... it all seems worth while.

removed

Tonia

Awwww, he's very cute!!! best of luck with little Bingo and I hope that he grows up strong and healthy!

Gordinian

I demand more pictures. lol!

He's very cute!

CoryCats

I'm glad he found a good kitty mom to help him!

psalm18.2

I never heard of a male bringing home a stray. Very pecular.

Lucy

What a cute surprise!
Good luck with Bingo.

Kai

Lucy said:
What a cute surprise!
Good luck with Bingo.
Yes, I was very surprised! LOL

Thank you! ^_^

psalm18.2 said:
I never heard of a male bringing home a stray. Very pecular.
I know, it's so weird! I've had 1 or 2 female cats in my life who took in a stray (usually because they have their kittens and don't mind feeding another one). But, my boy apparently doesn't care. LOL

CoryCats said:
I'm glad he found a good kitty mom to help him!
Thank you! ^^

dolphinlover101 said:
I demand more pictures. lol!

He's very cute!
Thanks! I will have to take them when he's asleep. He's an explorer when he's awake!

shayla1 said:
Awwww, he's very cute!!! best of luck with little Bingo and I hope that he grows up strong and healthy!
Thank you! I hope he grows up well, too. But then, the cats in this house are spoiled anyway. ^_^

tropicalfishlover

How's Bingo doing?

konstargirl

Bingo is very cute. <3 I hope he is doing well.

mrHDpants

Bingo sure is a cutie! I hope he is doing well

Shine

Last time I did the hand reared kitten thing, the one cat out of our group of adults that decided to help was also a neutered male. He was obsessed with getting into the kitten room and when we finally let him in, he spend much of his time sleeping with them and washing them. Quite adorable. They really wanted to nurse though, which was hillarious

... but a male bringing the kitten home? lol that is a new one. Its like he said 'hey you! care for this thing'

Kai

tropicalfishlover said:
How's Bingo doing?
konstargirl said:
Bingo is very cute. <3 I hope he is doing well.
mrHDpants said:
Bingo sure is a cutie! I hope he is doing well
Shine said:
Last time I did the hand reared kitten thing, the one cat out of our group of adults that decided to help was also a neutered male. He was obsessed with getting into the kitten room and when we finally let him in, he spend much of his time sleeping with them and washing them. Quite adorable. They really wanted to nurse though, which was hillarious

... but a male bringing the kitten home? lol that is a new one. Its like he said 'hey you! care for this thing'
Hey, guys! Thank you for asking about Bingo. When my cat dropped him at my feet I noticed a closed wound on the left side of his neck. I thought it was healed so I didn't think too much about it. A couple of days later, it started to swell from the inside to form a pretty big nodule. I kinda figured it was an abscess, so I brought him to the vet. They told me his age is more than 1 month an a half! He was so tiny, I thought he was just 3 weeks old. They told me it really was an abscess and they managed to drain 1 cc of pus (eek!). They also dewormed him and gave me a prescription for amoxicillin drops and an antibiotic ointment for the wound.

The vet and the assistants heard how my male cat brought him home and they found it heart-warming and hilarious. He's going back for a check up in another 2 days.

After 4-5 days of 3x a day feeding with good food, he's getting his appetite back. I also weaned him from the bottle a few days ago. I suppose he didn't learn how to eat normal food because his mom abandoned him but he's doing much better now. I feed him 1 tbs crushed "" + 1 tsp (just to encourage his appetite) "" + enough KMR to make a thick gruel. I'm adjusting it slowly so hopefully I can cut out the KMR soon because he's almost 2 months old.

He's more active (runs around the house like crazy) and more playful (bites anything that moves) now. I'll try to take pictures to show you guys because he's such a little trooper! ^_^

I bought him a mouse. I couldn't help myself. I saw it on display in the pet store the first time I ran there to get him milk. I managed to resist for a good 2 days before I went back (on the pretense of getting him some kitten gravy and dry food and vitamins) and bought the mouse. It is so cute. I call it Bingo's Amazing Technicolor Groovy Mouse. I'm weak--but he likes it so I don't care. ^_^;;

betta fan 99

Cute! My cat, Salvador was found I'm my moms friend backyard. Also his mom, brother, and sister. We named our cat Salavador because he has really long whiskers that looks like Salvador the artists mustache!

LyndaB

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww, what a heartwarming story. Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm much more of a dog kinda girl, than I am a cat kinda girl. I've rescued a few cats in my time, but overall, you'll find multiple dogs spread out around the house. I can certainly appreciate kitty cuteness, though.

Please give Jock a big hug and kiss from his Auntie LyndaB for his huge display of empathy and compassion.

Kai

Pictures as promised! ^_^

So, I brought him to the vet today. The vet lady was relieved to see that his abscess was gone because it was really big and she was worried about it. I also informed her that Bingo eats like a piglet and horses around all the time. I'm bringing him back in 2 weeks for his second deworming.

These steps lead down to our basement and on the bottom landing is Bingo's outdoor playpen. I thought it was adorable that his "dad" (black and white) and uncle (orange and white) hang out on the steps to watch him play in the morning.
removed

This is his outdoor sleeping box. His playpen is situated in such a way that half is in the shade and half would be under direct sunlight. He has a different cat bed indoors which he doesn't seem to like much as he prefers my purple rug. Weird. The bedraggled grey mouse is a hand-me-down for like 5 kitty generations. The bright and furry mouse is Bingo's Amazing Technicolor Groovy Mouse.
removed

removed

Rawr! Tasty finger! I trained him not to bite too hard but he's teething so he can't help it. ^_^;;

My brother told me he saw what was most likely Bingo's mom hanging around outside his playpen on occasion. Since all she did was sit down and watch him play, I told him it was okay.

"As his mother, she has visitation rights. But I have full custody." I have a bad feeling that she probably smelled the pus in the abscess and abandoned him. Now that he's better, she visits him. -_-

Here is a video of him on my brother's bed. ^_^

LyndaB

Wow, look at those eyes! This guy stumbled into the right house, that's for sure.

konstargirl

Aww! Is the father and uncle neutered now?

Kai

LyndaB said:
Wow, look at those eyes! This guy stumbled into the right house, that's for sure.
Thank you! I wasn't expecting another cat but hey, I'm not turning down a blessing! ^_^

His eyes will probably change color in a few months. Kinda sad because I love these blues.

konstargirl said:
Aww! Is the father and uncle neutered now?
Yes they are! Something Bingo can look forward to in a couple of months. ^_^

All my cats are neutered at 2-3 mos old. The grey and white kitty, who is Bingo's adoptive dad had 2 operations because his other testis descended a few weeks later than the other. Poor guy. ^^;;

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom