Fat Silver Dollar Help

1. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Lost a young Silver Dollar yesterday. He was extremely fat. Now another one is starting to get fat. Other one means these two are the youngest and got them at the same time. I have no clue to what is going on here or what to do. I'm not sure if it's constipation. Dropsy. Any ideas?
  2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you lost one of your silver dollars yesterday.

Can you possibly take a picture of the one that is currently getting fat?

It's great to see you on the forum again, although I wish it was under better circumstances.

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Best I could do...the little guy on the top.....wouldn't hold still or he was hidden behind the rest of the school. lol

Here's another. He's surely uncomfortable as he's breathing hard.
  4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

How's everyone else doing? Sometimes a sudden bloat could indicate constipation and sometimes it could indicate internal parasites....or something somewhere in the middle. Internal issues are so difficult to deal with!

Have you tried fasting or an Epsom Salt bath?

5. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks Dena.

Everyone else is fine.

The swelling has gone away when I checked on him this morning. That is a relief. I ordered food from Kensfish . Com to try out. I'm wondering if it's the new food that made the little ones constipated. But the first one that died looked like a balloon!! It looked awful. Eratic swimming and floating.

I fasted them on Thursday and fed them Kensfish yesterday morning. Got home about 4:30 and noticed the bloating on the other little SD.

I'm going to fast them again today and maybe tomorrow and not feed them Kensfish food but NLS as usual.
  6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like a good plan! Hopefully a change in food is all that is needed.
  7. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

They all are frisky today! :giggle:

Dena, how much Epsom Salt to how much water for a bath and how long for the bath? I want to make a note along with the rest of my notes. Lol. I've got quit the notes for my planted tank.