Fat Shaming

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by JoeEse7en, Aug 1, 2017.

1. JoeEse7en

JoeEse7enValued MemberMember

OK Aquanatics. So I said I wasn't worried but he seems extra big today. Here's the deal: 3.25 weeks ago I received my fish. All seemed well until day 3 when I noticed this guy and his (brother?) seemed extra large in the belly compared to the rest. It was suggested they are just fatsos. Which seems plausible. I'll tell you why. This guy the bigger of the two whom I dubbed Laurel and Hardy has never seemed sluggish, weighed down, has eaten like crazy and according to many websites he isn't "pineconing".

Is it possible that fish can get constipated? And if so is there a way to unplug em? I mean I obviously can't stick a pinky up the backside....soooo....what other options do u have? Anyone?? @fissh do you think it's Malawi Bloat in his case? He's the one I posted about back 3 weeks ago. Can you stand by the idea that he's just a fatty?

Oh and another thing: he's growing. Not just out but longer than when I got him and "taller?" I guess. Just throwing that out there for idea.

Also I know a lot of people like to think my water parameters are a thought but this has been going on this long with water parameters never changing that much. I do weekly water changes 30% just so we are all on the same page. Help me out ladies and gentlemen!

20170801_194918-1.jpg20170801_200205_004-1.jpg

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

If it is constipated (or not), feed it deshelled and boiled peas. It acts as a laxative for fish.

3. OP
    OP
    JoeEse7en

JoeEse7enValued MemberMember

Oh and I'm sorry he won't sit still long enough to get an awesome picture. You know cichlids. Lol. BUT I promise there is no sign of pineconing

No kidding? That's pretty cool. I need to try that. Frozen peas ok?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2017
  4. aae0130

aae0130Valued MemberMember

I know that trick. I was doing it with chubby goldfish once a week. Just be careful how much you put in at once because they sink and can plug up your filter good. Use fresh or frozen but not canned. Cook them first then let them cool to room temp. I used to pierce the skin and pop it open with my finger. It comes out in two pieces and some times mush. Don't use the mush. Take the solid parts and dice them up tiny. Drop in just a little bit at a time.

5. adsm08

adsm08Valued MemberMember

Unfreeze them first.

I do this every couple weeks. Anytime I cook a dish that uses peas I pull some out for the fish and the next morning the bottom of the tank is covered in green poo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice