Fat Platty

Buzz

Reaction score
How long has she looked like this ...if its been a while then it may not be dropsy - that also causes the scales to stick out a bit... I guess she's pregnant... she's pretty though ;D

Buzz

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Well Known
Reaction score
It has been about 3 weeks. I don't think that it is Dropsy, because the scales are not sticking out.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She looks very pregnant to me Do you have plants (real or artificial) for teh babies to hide in?
Carol

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Well Known
Reaction score
Yes I have real plants in the tank. I have read that it takes about 4 weeks for them to give birth, and that turning up the water temp will also help, but is there anything else I can do?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just keeping the water sparkling clean takes about 28-30 days, raising the temp raises the fishs metabolism and can be hard on them if done too often also warmer water holds less oxygen.
Carol

OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks Carol I guess I will just keep up my usual cleaning and let nature take its course and see what happens.

tropixswimfinfan

Reaction score
I am a newbie here with a platy that is getting pretty fat also, I would love to know how yours' is doing!
Please post an update to the original and let us know what if anything new has happened.. if you have new fry if she is still fat?

Thank you!
tropixswimfinfan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did your platy end up having fry? If so, how many times has she dropped fry? From the pic, I'm not sure, but she sure looks it.. If I saw her side & little black dots were looking back at me, then I'd say for sure she was.

New Threads