Fat platty

slider6542

Reaction score
I have a young platty which I raised from fry. It is huge and looks like she is about to explode. No other evidence of pregnancy, just looks like a porker, very very fat.

Any ideas?

OP
slider6542

slider6542

Reaction score
Hi, I should have attached a pic, of course. Here she is. Her scales are not sticking out as John & Jen suggested. How do you feed her a pea? Hope you can help.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She does look like a balloon platy and they do tend to get pretty fat like that. You could try feeding her a little less but as long as she acts ok and eats fine, I think she's fine. Thawed & peeled frozen pea pieces are a nice treat for platys, also diced green beans and sometimes even broccolI or cucumber slices.

OP
slider6542

slider6542

Reaction score
I 'raised' her from fry and her mother wasn't a balloon Platy so I think that may be unlikely.
I have fed them some peas so see what happens.
Thanks for all your help guys.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We had a gold twinbar platy drop fry and the ones that made it all were balloon platys, either from inbreeding at the store or not enough vitamin c or both.. but they all had scoliosis.

OP
slider6542

slider6542

Reaction score
I bow to the wealth of experience in here. On closer inspection, all 3 paltys I raised from fry have distended bellies, so it makes sense that mum was ravaged by a ballon platy in the LFS. What a relief. Anything I need to know about ballon palty apart from their not being very attractive?

New Threads