Fat Or Bloated Sick?!

River Gray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have 3 male guppies in my 30 gal tank solid colored yellow face copper tail, a solid colored orange one, and aainly orange one that has the speckled cobra pattern or something like that I believe it's called. All three of them have all always been piggies tho only the solid yellow faced copper tailed one and a fourth one who passed away probably 6 months or so ago now that ever showed any signs of maybe being a bit fatter than the others. They are all very active tho, at least if their not busy eating that is, then all they are doing is chasing each other around and seemingly picking on each other tho they never seem to really hurt each other. So they are very active almost all the time and only slow down a little bit when it comes to nighttime and even then they are often quite the busy bee's it seems, at least when they notice me looking lol.

The one I'm worried about is the yellow face copper tailed one. He has always had a gray spot on his belly and on the top of his head. It worried me for a little while when we first got him but it's just his coloring as it's never changed coloring or shape or anything. One time when he was young and we were gone for about three days he was a bit less color like stress discoloration and after a day he was back to his normal color brightness. I'm real worried because he's almost wobbly in the water now. I only noticed it when I turned off the moonlight lamp that he seemed to be almost bobbing rather than swimming like a buoy and he seemed like he might be more round than I think he used to be. The other two don't seem different and don't seem to really be acting much different than usual except at sometimes they almost seemed to be beach balling him back and forth like a mean game school kids would play with a chubby kid but also almost like they were trying to stabilize him and prop or push him up in a helpful way almost, if fish can have those kinds of emotions and feelings or deep thoughts. I put all three into a tank so I could look at him and so he didn't stress because he was alone or unable to get through the mesh to the others so the pics aren't the greatest... No one else looks overfed or bloated in the tank tho I'm sure a diet probably wouldn't hurt the tank in general as we all, even the best of us, do have trouble trying to not feed our fish to death lol... So is it a diet or medicine that he needs?
And if it's a diet how do I get it so he doesn't eat more than his share without taking away his ability to exercise or making him stressed out by blocking him from the other guppies.... I could possibly move him into the five gallon tank I have along with the newest male and move the female and fry (fry in a floating tank) to the big tank tho I'd be worried the female might be too stressed being the only guppy in there, or put them in the shrimp tank with the female possibly in the floating tank instead if she shows aggression towards my shrimp...

The only other illness any of the guppies has had besides one which passed away from what we could only presume was old age was the all orange solid color one, who at one point had a lump on his top fin which upon examination came right off on the net while I was trying to get him into an isolation tank for me to get pics and a good look at it. It left a hole in his fin which then turned into a tear but is now ok and hasn't caused him any issues as far as I can tell.

These are the pics through the mesh side of the float box:
6824AD18-89F9-4E22-9C00-919732190277.jpeg C0134451-AA62-4A00-BB21-562330FEE6A1.jpeg 30F6CAEC-7476-4909-9551-FF39633B86A9.jpeg 4E42A7E1-5CF6-4862-8038-2A69AEFB63DB.jpeg 9BE4099B-8947-480A-8717-4EADE06FCFD4.jpeg 9C8BB117-378A-4A79-838E-53A1DD0DC429.jpeg

And ones from the top and as close as I could get without dunking my phone camera in!

8312276D-56E9-4424-92B2-69545C45B29F.jpeg 348F7589-C91C-4B85-B629-05FF523A1F6A.jpeg F4B70577-F71C-43D6-906B-E32B620981B8.jpeg 3BEC386F-7B25-4150-9694-4BB2652D7162.jpeg 67D70EAC-9344-421E-866D-CAB0525FF8D2.jpeg 34ADEBCB-624C-4581-A9DE-9B5BFDBDC8C6.jpeg E07D3222-3D36-47AA-85F1-9D2A317833B7.jpeg DEFC1AD4-5044-4D13-8DBA-02D8C1DFC6B5.jpeg

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The pineapple colored one appears to have dropsy. Can’t really tell from the picture but male guppies don’t get that fat.

River Gray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MikeRad89 said:
The pineapple colored one appears to have dropsy. Can’t really tell from the picture but male guppies don’t get that fat.
Crud! I was afraid of that... What should I do!?! My parameters are ok tho I've done more small water changes recently due to a slight ammonia (.25) and a nitrite that was so close to 0 but looked like it maybe had a tiny teeny tinge of lilac in it but it was not even as much purple as you see in a bright cloudless blue sky .... Literally I think it was only even tinted because I couldn't look right at the five minute because my "white spectrum" bulb chose then to die and so I had to find, get, and replace a bulb before I could get a true color test. In my dingey no direct sun in the windows living room lamp it had looked like 0 with no purple at all... But better safe than sorry so a couple water changes and some prime has been added/done.

So how do I not end up with my other guppies sick and how can I save this guy? Now he's been bloated looking before just not quite as big as he is looking now and that was months and seasons ago even like end of summer I think...And he seemed fine but has had a "double chin" or big guy look whatever you want to call it and been fine for all this time but it definitely looks more bloated to me but my husband thinks he looks the same. I'm going to take a couple more pics of him outside the mesh and see if that gives a better view and help curing him if he needs more than to be kept away from the food given to the main tank and fed seperately so he can only eat a proper amount and not gorge himself.

If it still looks like dropsy to people has anyone successfully saved a guppy and how and what should I do to protect the others without causing him too much stress that being completely isolated might do.... If I need a hang on back/front isolation tank so he doesn't share water but can still "see" and "interact" with the other guppies I'm willing to get something like that.

River Gray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok here's some hopefully better pics. There is one pic (should be the fourth or the one on the right of the second row in the displayed thumbnails) that doesn't have him, the possibly sick fish (he's the yellow head, gray middle, with an orange tail), in it just to show what one of his companions' (one he actually was bought at the same place from the same same time and tank as he was actually) physical structure looks like. He's acting normal and I think actually looking a little better thank he did last night/this morning.... Could he just be he was/is blocked up some? Although in these pics he is eliminating (when aren't guppies it seems) so he's not completely blocked but I didn't see him doing much the other night so maybe he needs some type of fish exlax to get thing going again and unbloat what could be backed up bowels? Does that even happen and is there anything that would help in that case? He isn't acting abnormally at all and definitely not in the way I've read dropsy behavior usually presents, but I know sometimes they don't show any symptoms of it till immediately before the are gone.... So what do you guys think my next move should be to help this guy? I love my little Ash guy and will be oh so sad if I lose him, especially after today's fiasco with pretty momma in the 5gal...

C5EE147C-759E-47A1-A712-687AA62E65FA.jpeg 615258B7-0AAE-4579-B384-D4473F4F2792.jpeg C774C3BD-6C95-45F5-9BFE-C4A033F0ECE4.jpeg C64DB957-4F9F-4A7B-9863-B77341CAAD40.jpeg CC2BB49D-297A-44EB-98C4-38E115B6A44D.jpeg 027DF3AF-0782-4DA7-8868-47C6FB710AFD.jpeg 8E389A0D-3DD4-43F1-A58D-1A4FECC584D0.jpeg 2B54A46E-52DA-4B7B-B203-6B212F4447EE.jpeg AC29F701-4009-44FA-B547-0DDAAE5CDD21.jpeg

River Gray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He definitely is looking a little bit better tonight than he did yesterday. I dunno what he might have done but it seemed to be that he got too bloated due to either being backed up or some other reason...Maybe took too big of a gulp of air while being a greedy butt trying to eat all of the food before anyone else could get to it. Lol! The whole tank is going on a diet, or more like I'm going to try to force myself to not put more food than is just necessary and learn how to not feel like I'm depriving them in some way, with him getting separated for the minute or two with his own little lunch of a few flakes given to him in a float tank just for the minute or so it takes for the rest of the tanks denziens to get their food so their isn't much or anything left for him when he gets out. Already I've seen him picking at the rocks trying to find more flakes that other fish missed and that the snails haven't found yet lol!

If anyone really still thinks he looks sick please tell me and let me know what to do to get him healthy and to keep the others safe...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom