Fat Neon Tetras?

Avectasi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello! I currently seen some of neon tetras are pretty fatty should I be worried?

I mostly give them variety of food one day I give them pellets the other flakes and other blood worms. I don’t count much but I mostly take 2 small pinch size every feeding per one day. Should I cut out the feeding every other day instead of one day? Would it hurt them?

I did some research that peas would help them but I have around 11 tetras and not sure if non bloated ones would eat them.

Tips? Thanks!

Attachments

JasmineMcG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello! I currently seen some of neon tetras are pretty fatty should I be worried?

I mostly give them variety of food one day I give them pellets the other flakes and other blood worms. I don’t count much but I mostly take 2 small pinch size every feeding per one day. Should I cut out the feeding every other day instead of one day? Would it hurt them?

I did some research that peas would help them but I have around 11 tetras and not sure if non bloated ones would eat them.

Tips? Thanks!
I think it's from overfeeding. Neons are so small and so are their tummies. I would try cutting down to just feeding them half as much as you are right now. And if you're feeding them freeze dried blood worms soak them in tank water for like 10 min before putting them in your tank. You can still feed them everyday but just half the amount

Avectasi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it's from overfeeding. Neons are so small and so are their tummies. I would try cutting down to just feeding them half as much as you are right now. And if you're feeding them freeze dried blood worms soak them in tank water for like 10 min before putting them in your tank. You can still feed them everyday but just half the amount
Ah alright I have a question on the bloodworms why is it bad to feed them directly without soaking in water? My mistake I mostly just dump in

JasmineMcG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ooh alright I’ll try to do that in my next feeding. Thanks!!
No problem! If they still look bloated in a couple days fast them for 48 hours and see how they look. Make sure they are pooping. If they still look plump you can try feeding them some peas deshelled

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I had neons, they were quite the gluttons. I had to cut down the amount per feeding. When I had time, I would watch and see how long it took for them to eat before their bellies started showing any signs of fattening. In the mean time, you can just fast them for a day and maybe you can try feeding them blanched deshelled peas the next feeding. Of course, try to make the pieces as small as possible for their tiny mouths. If the unaffected eats the peas, it's no big deal, it's not gonna harm them.

Zai

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of my neons look just like that but they eat the least of my 4. Haven't figured out why but they seem in good health

Avectasi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my neons look just like that but they eat the least of my 4. Haven't figured out why but they seem in good health
I gave less feeding portions than I did before they look much better now! Sometimes for me they look fat in one feeding then the next day they’re back to normal!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom