Fat Molly

Ashlyn1620

I have 4 mollies and 2 adfs in a tank. I originally thought my female Molly was pregnant because she was fatter, but then I noticed that next morning she was not as fat. That night, she became fat again. Then the next morning she was skinnier.

I started watching her closer, and I noticed after feeding my adfs their pellets, she’d go down and grab the extras they didn’t eat. ( I feed my frogs by putting in a divider and giving them an hour or so to find the food I give them.) She would be searching the gravel for food all day as well as nipping on fake plants. I feed her daily, so I don’t think she’s hungry but I did read that they are always going to eat more food, so I’m not too worried about me not feeding her enough, I’m more worried about her being fat from all the adf pellets she’s finding.

I guess I just came on here to share what’s happening and if anyone has input, that’d be highly appreciated. Basically, I think she’s becoming fat from all the adf pellets she’s able to dig out of the gravel. Does anyone know how I should approach this? Maybe take the frogs out and into a separate container for feeding time? I’m not sure. Replies will be highly appreciated!

She may also be pregnant and all of this ‘theory’ I have may be wrong. She does separate herself from the others quite a bit and stay still (which are things I read could be pregnancy) but I also find her swimming happily with them too. This is a pic of her:
I have 4 mollies and 2 adfs in a tank. I originally thought my female Molly was pregnant because she was fatter, but then I noticed that next morning she was not as fat. That night, she became fat again. Then the next morning she was skinnier.

I started watching her closer, and I noticed after feeding my adfs their pellets, she’d go down and grab the extras they didn’t eat. ( I feed my frogs by putting in a divider and giving them an hour or so to find the food I give them.) She would be searching the gravel for food all day as well as nipping on fake plants. I feed her daily, so I don’t think she’s hungry but I did read that they are always going to eat more food, so I’m not too worried about me not feeding her enough, I’m more worried about her being fat from all the adf pellets she’s finding.

I guess I just came on here to share what’s happening and if anyone has input, that’d be highly appreciated. Basically, I think she’s becoming fat from all the adf pellets she’s able to dig out of the gravel. Does anyone know how I should approach this? Maybe take the frogs out and into a separate container for feeding time? I’m not sure. Replies will be highly appreciated!

She may also be pregnant and all of this ‘theory’ I have may be wrong. She does separate herself from the others quite a bit and stay still (which are things I read could be pregnancy) but I also find her swimming happily with them too. This is a pic of her:
Note: I also find my other mollies digging up some frog food too, and they aren’t any fatter then usual.. just the female seems to be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 20

Idkitsathrowaway

ya she looks pregnant, idk if its the same for mollies but other livebareers will retain sperm and can get pregnant even without a male in the curent tank

Upvote 0

Ashlyn1620

Thanks for the reply!

I have males with her in the tank, so I’m sure they got her pregnant if she is. I thought she was pregnant, but she keeps going from big to smaller everyday. As I said in the above post, she gets bigger at night and smaller in the morning. This has been going on for a few days and she’ll get larger typically after feeding my adfs and after she finds all their leftovers. I’m worried she’s just fat from food that’s not meant for her.

You could be totally right and she may have been pregnant this whole time, it just doesn’t make sense that she becomes fatter and skinnier every day..?

Again, she may just be pregnant but if you have any knowledge of what may be happening to her, let me know.

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

shes being kept with males assume shes always prego its just easer, and i dont think its okay if shes losing and gaining so much so quickly keep an eye out

Upvote 0

Ashlyn1620

Ok, thanks again for the quick replies. Sorry for all the questions but I have one more.

Can you tell about how far she is in pregnancy or when she might give birth? Here’s another pic:
Lil blurry, but here’s one more:

Attachments

• F35AE7AB-731F-4D88-BCD1-1853F28D0407.jpeg
    F35AE7AB-731F-4D88-BCD1-1853F28D0407.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 15
  • C893E3A9-D35C-4351-B0CA-18469DA4F3CE.jpeg
    C893E3A9-D35C-4351-B0CA-18469DA4F3CE.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

keep an eye out for the gravid spot, shes realy dark so it will be hard to see(she's so dark you may not) but if you see it (google if and click images) it means shes a couple days away

and the size of the stomac is not a good indicator. lets use my guppies for example most only give birth to 1-3 at a time do to genetics but when i got a new female guppies she had over 20 and it looked like she was gonna pop. she looked like the others a week in. so you need to figure out baced on how many she has at a time.

Upvote 0

Ashlyn1620

Thanks for all the replies! Hopefully all goes well and I’ll keep an eye on her! Thanks again for all the help.

Upvote 0

carligracee

Note: I also find my other mollies digging up some frog food too, and they aren’t any fatter then usual.. just the female seems to be.
Mollies will eat constantly, they will not stop when full. Bloating is common in this species because of this reason. She is more likely to do this if she is pregnant, as pregnancy can cause hunger signals in the molly's brain to go off all the time.

My advice is to feed less ADF pellets, only feed what your fish will eat and then fish out the rest. Keep the molly full by feeding them a variety of foods, including bloodworms, algae wafers, regular pellets, and supplemental foods like tubifex worms and any kind of live food.

Upvote 0

Ashlyn1620

Ok, tysm for the help!

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Well, trying to spot the gravid spot is unrealistic in this case...

Upvote 0

Ashlyn1620

Ya, she’s fully black so you’re right. Do you have any other ways I could tell she’s pregnant or about to give birth?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Ashlyn1620
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Pregnant Molly?
Replies
Views