Fat female gourami

yasha

Well Known
So my female dwarf gourami has got very fat lately. She was never this fat when I was breeding her but now that she's in the 55 (for the time being going to be moved soon) she has got really fat. She is still acting fine comes to eat in the morning and swimming the tank normally but just looks so big.

Dose she look fatter then she should be and what if anything should I do about it? After I move her I can make sure she gets less food if its that she just over eats (do fish do that?).

Fish don't hold eggs until mated with right? So getting her a new mate wouldn't make a difference right? I did however really like having the to together.

She's a nice size as big as most males I have seen. She also has got more of a orange/red outline around her fins, not sure how well it can be seen in the photos.

20160301_150419.jpg
20160301_150510.jpg
20160301_150515.jpg
20160301_150531.jpg

Jenbug0901

I know this is maybe a weird question, but is she pooping normally?

OP
Y

yasha

Well Known
Not weird at all. That question can help answer a lot of problems in a lot of animals.
In this case I'm guessing your try to tell if its bloat and I believe she is pooping normally. I know I have seen her do so and it looked the same normal brown and everything as it did when she wasn't fat. I however really can't say for sure how often she has done so in the past vs now.

I do know she's the 1st to come eat and the last to leave. I also know she is still very active and per and my angle pick on each other from time to time so I have seen her chase the angle and be chased along with just normal swimming of the tank. She normally stays around the top in floating plants but it isn't odd to see her in middle of the tank either.

Is there anything I should do in case shes not pooping normally as I know I've seen her do so while like this but can't even say if it was days or what. Would peas help her like with goldfish? She has had a day or 2 without food also. But normally there fed every morning.

Jenbug0901

Yes, that is why I was asking. I'm fairly sure you can rule out bloat if you've seen her poop. I will say that judging by the pictures she does look a lot fatter than my gouramis. I do know that female gouramis can change color on their underside as they produce eggs, so if she has more orange/red than usual that might be it. I don't know enough about it to help any more than that. Sorry!

If you think it might be bloat, I would totally just try some peas. It won't hurt if it's not bloat so its worth a try.

OP
Y

yasha

Well Known
Thank you for trying to help.

Front day 1 I got her and she was with my male for breeding its been a few months now without a male I do believe so not sure if she just wants to breed or...

I'm not sure I'm aloud to quote someone from a different forum or not so if I shouldn't post this let me know but I did find one person saying "Look at her from above, if she's egg bound, you'll see the bloated mass more on one side of the body. If she's equally fat on both sides, she prob just ate a lot."
I'm not sure how true that is or if that's the case. Dose anyone else know if this maybe the case? If so what to do about it?

Shes been fat for some time to Before feb 9 as I have picture of her then and shes also if not the same.

20160209_121329_resized_2.jpg
20160209_121351_resized_1.jpg
20160209_121543_resized_1.jpg

Dovah

Well Known
My opaline gourami look similar to this, maybe not as pronounced. I feed them crushed peas once a week. Following this thread.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Try fasting your whole tank for a few days. If she goes down in size, she's overeating. If not, there may be other issues (eggs, parasites, etc.).

OP
Y

yasha

Well Known
Ok thank you.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Most likely she is just filling with eggs because she hasn't had a male to spawn with. The female will fill with eggs even if a male is not present. She may get eggbound. I'd get her back together with a male, there aren't enough Dwarf Gouramis being tank bred any more.

OP
Y

yasha

Well Known
Yea I would like to get a new male but I have no car so need to get a ride willing to drive for about a hour for 1 fish and all my choices hates driving . All the stores around here I really am not trusting of, there male gourami always look wrong(sick,misshaped,pale and a lot of dead). Before my male past away I was thinking of added a 2nd female for him as I heard they do well breeding with a few females.
I've also read that a male should be bigger then the female, How much truth is there to that? My female is the size my male was before passing. I would like to try breeding them again find the right male that's wanting to try breeding. My old boy was very nice about it he would make the nest and she was more of the one chasing him to breed with her. I really do like the idea of breeding them for the same reason, I've never seen anyone saying they did so and it would make females a little easier to find lol. If you know a male may help her maybe I can use that to make my ride more willing lol. I keep saying I need a new male, but if she needs one vs me wanting one may make it easier to get.

I'm still going to try fasting her 1st and see what happens. Along with peas because it can't hurt to make sure that's not the reason. With as many fish as she is with and not one showing the same signs I'm guessing its a lot less likely she is sick as after a few months you would think I would have seen it in a few of the fish and sooner.

OP
Y

yasha

Well Known
Maybe I should ask this question if it is that shes bloated what types could it be that would last for over a month and not make her act sick or anyone she with?
I would think in over a mouth if she was in fact not pooping she wouldn't still be alive. I know with birds egg bounding kills there in a very short time so would it be the same with her?

Being as its been over a month would it be more likely overeating mixed with holding eggs maybe? I'm thinking if it was a parasite one of the other 30 fish would also be showing something.

I got her back mid October to early November. !st babies were on the 7th of nov. and no I didn't qt her before putting her with the male but it was just the 2 of them in the tank so I took a shot and she was in there for some time. Never had a prob till last month or so

OP
Y

yasha

Well Known
So I did just see her poop again normal brown color. Even with no food so far she is looking the same.
My mom ended up getting me a male not from the store I wanted to but he is a nice size male.
I'm questioning if I should split his QT and just put her with him I'm not really sure I want to but Seems it may hurt her either way. He has no interest in building a nest in the Qt by himself atm, but maybe that will change if he sees the female. He was holding his own ground at the store. He has good coloring (not same color as my old male) and little to no fin damage.

His pic. Had him in a cup for the picture.

DSC_0667.JPG
DSC_0677.JPG

Dovah

Well Known
Have you treated for worms?

I can't comment on the QT, I don't use one yet so I don't have much experience.

OP
Y

yasha

Well Known
No I haven't as I haven't seen any reason to do so. I had a fugue problem with one of my oto not to long about but other then that the tank as a whole is doing fine.

I maybe wrong about this so if anyone believes I am let me know. If she and only she has been this way for over a month and none of the other fish are showing any signs of anything. How likely is it to be sometime contagious?

I had her around 10 months that would mean it was dormant for along time, unless she got it after being added to the 55 but I've had most of those fish longer then her and none of them are acting or looking sick in any way. Last fish I got for that tank was back in November.

With the QT tank and the new male I'm just saying that if she is sick she could get him sick and if he is sick he could get her sick that's the whole point in Qt so he (being new) can't get anyone sick. Being as its only the two tho I'm thinking of risking putting her with him. I can watch her feeding a lot closer that way and if it is just her wanting to breed it may help fix it.

The way she is atm she is acting fine but I really don't want to wait to try something till she's not acting ok. I know she can poop so that takes that problem out for sure right? How likely is it we can also say its not something contagious(again shes only 1 of 30 fish and only one like this)?

I've never seen a fish get so fat like she is so I really have no ideas. I've had problems with goldfish and swimming bladder that's the most alike to her I can get but she can swim fine.

I'm hoping shes just fat and not being in a community tank will mean she can't keep eating there share of the food. She is a pig. I don't think I'm over feeding the group(she is eating more then her share) as I do have pest snails but rarely see more then a few in the tank and normally only when I have just turned the lights on. If she is just fat that would be best but I don't want to rule something out for sure.I never knew fish could get fat. A belly after eating to much I have seen but fat like her I haven't.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
I'd QT the male for 4 weeks minimum before introducing him to the female. Don't split the tank for them, as keeping them in a split tank ruins the point of a QT tank (shared water, parasites and diseases can transfer between them).

ALWAYS QT your fish. You'll regret it when an introduced fish wipes out your whole tank. It's not worth the risk.

OP
Y

yasha

Well Known
I do fully agree with you on the QT and I well be doing so when I get my new fish for my 55 gallon but I'm just thinking it may be worth risking just her and him in this case. I would move her in to the tank with only him as to make sure no others are at risk. I'm thinking it maybe of equal risk leaving her has she is now.

I don't even like to share tubes and buckets for water changes with any of my tank. I got one tube to fill them all with water that never touches there water then they all have there own drain tubes. I get overly worried about stuff like that and it doesn't help knowing how long some diseases can stay dormant. I even got 5ml syringes that sits taped to or on top of the tank it goes to for water testing and got a set of test tubes per tank. I think that maybe over doing it a little as I even do it with tanks I've had for the same amount of time with no problems but like to be safe then sorry with big groups of fish.
So I do agree with you fully and understand the rise I'd be making with there heath if I did do so. It's bad of me and I know it but there's a few of my fish I'd do anything for then there's others I'd be more risky with. I did it with her and her male that past away. My mind was like well it will only be 2 fish that may get sick and that's the only reason you got her put her in we'll he's interested. Thinking about doing it again to see if her having less food around and a male to mate with helps with her belly.

I was only talking about the splitting so he could see her but not attack her as I did with her last male they were never left together longer then it took for them to mate and they were always nice when mating but if he wasn't interested she was in his space and he didn't like it.

Also a few days without food didn't seem to do anything for her.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ArthurTheAquarist

Did You Know...

We have gurus on all sorts of fish keeping subjects. Gurus are members that have shown great knowledge in a particular area. You have to get nominated by your fellow members and moderators have to approve guru nominations. To read more about the guru badges go here:
Guru Badge Info

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom