Fat Danio, or Pregnant Danio? Question

Discussion in 'Zebra Danio' started by tatty_kassy, Apr 13, 2010.

1. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

I have this Danio that is quite a bit rounder then the others. I have three boys and three girls, I am making this assessment based on the information about danios and what makes a boy, and what makes a girl. It stated that males are quite slender and the females have a bit more of a belly. Three are quite slender, two are rounded, and one is like a balloon. Shes eating well, swims around and is quite active, but her stomach is huge! Shes almost got the shape of one of those bubble platies! I know that they do not birth live and that they lay eggs, is it possible she is full of eggs? Or is she just.....a "big" girl?? :)

If it is eggs, does she have to lay them? ???

2. Jake the FishValued MemberMember

She most likely is pregnant. If you do not want the fry then don't take out the parents. Even though it sounds harsh. She will have to lay the eggs.

3. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

Ouch....pregnant....shoot.....well.....Hmm.....

How long do they stay pregnant for? I mean, if she has been like this for a week and a half....how long do I have to make a decision here? :eek:

4. Jake the FishValued MemberMember

Well I think she will lay the eggs when shes ready. I am not sure because I have never kept danios before.

See what other members have to say.

5. crystalizedNew MemberMember

Hey, I had a few danios before, and probably most likely she is pregnant, and since they lay eggs in between the gravels without you knowning, only best way to find out is just to take a goooood look at in between the gravels without moving them so much , ( just in case your danio already laid eggs, might harm the eggs by moving the gravels ) ,

Also their fry most likely will be eaten or die unless you separate them to a different tank..

If you have more questions, let me know~!!

6. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

I just started this tank! I don't think I can keep the babies, I don't have anywhere to put them....!
    I feel sort of bad that I can't do much for them. Is there any way to keep them from breeding? I feel like I shouldn't be having baby fishes until I get my second tank.:;smack

7. Jake the FishValued MemberMember

I guess you could take the pregnant one back to the LFS and replace it with another.

8. crystalizedNew MemberMember

Don't worry...since its just 1 danio is pregnant ( most likely ), all the eggs that will be born is most likely to be eaten by the danios ( unless you seperate, ), or they will most likely die ( once again unless you seperate )...just when you see dead frys, just pick em out..no such a big deal ^^

9. crystalizedNew MemberMember

gotta do what you gotta do..!

10. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

Yeah I suppose, I just hope none of the other fish get pregnant, the two new platies I just got are doing some weird swimming around eachother and rubbing up against eachother. I hope they are just being friends.... :;group

11. crystalizedNew MemberMember

LOL...you know what that means!!...but don't worry, unless you serious about breeding, try not to pay too much attention to the " Might pregant theory " of the fishes, just keep em at your pace of will...and when you ready for a new tank, then let the other story begin!!...

just in case of your worries..if you do want to keep the frys...

get heater for 5gal, 5 gal tank, and airstone..then you are done.. but don't get em if you only see like 2 to 3 frys..not worth of your time nor money.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice