Fast Growing Plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by happyfins14, Jul 26, 2015.

1. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Hi guys, sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wanted to know about some fast growing plants to compete with algae. The plants I'm familiar with do not seem to grow especially quickly.

Here's a list of plants I have/will have soon. If anyone knows if these are fast growing, or know other easy species that are, please let me know in the comments. :)

Anacharis
    Anubias Nana
    Java moss
    Java fern
    Banana plant

Thanks guys! and remember, because of my limited experience with aquatic plants, please only suggest plants that are low maintenance. :)

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

My hornworts and star grass are fast growing in my planted tank. They're growing like weeds and I've had to trim and propagate them every two weeks. Gonna have to start selling excess on Craigslist soon lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

The plants you have are all slow growing except the anacharis.

I don't think anything grows faster than hornwort, mine grows at least an inch each day, because it grows so fast it's also pretty cheap for a decent amount.
    You will probably find it on here for free just pay shipping if you look in the buy sell section.

4. OP
    OP
    h

Okay thanks! I considered hornwort but it said it sheds nettles? are those a huge pain to clean up or not a big deal if you have shrimp? Also I have never heard of star grass but will look into it

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  5. DanB80TTS

My hornwort doesn't shed, the needles can come off if I rough with it when replanting the trimmings, but it doesn't shed like a Christmas tree.

I do use fertiliser in my main tank, but in my small tanks it grows just as fast without ferts or liquid carbon and without as much light either.

I have Amazon frogbit too, that seems to be doing pretty well and spreading somewhat quickly, I only recently added that. It is a floating plant and looks like mini lillypads.

6. OP
    OP
    h

Great. What kind of fish do you have and do they hang around it a lot, or do you just have it to help out the water quality?

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Basically, all you need is good lighting. Lighting is all that really matters, everything else is a bonus supplement and not a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. DanB80TTS

I edited my previous post btw to add in an additional plant I have.

I have hornwort in my shrimp tank, so the shrimp hang out in it.
    I don't have any livebearers but it is good hiding spot for fry too. In my main 29gallon it can obviously grow a lot taller and the 3 ghost shrimp I have left like to hang out in it. My cories like to forage in it too.

Its best for shrimp and fry for hiding in.

9. OP
    OP
    h

Great! I plan to get three or four ghost shrimp. And the mini lily pad plant you described sounds cool I'll have to look into that :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice