Fast Growing Macro Algae?

AZL

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, I'm trying to get the marine tank well planted with macro algae. It's home to a pair of GSP's and I'm bringing an algae blenny home tomorrow who will enjoy that annoying hair algae but nothing in the tank will nibble the macro. So far I've a little cheato that came with the live rock and a couple of blue ochtodes (more purple as I don't have high light). Looking at dragon's breath and red bush to add some colour. Any recommendations?

Tony_097

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Red bushes are a nice addition and ulva or sea lettuce is a great and easy addition to a tank. Macros do benefit from iron in the system. The ulva is also a great food source for any marine herbivores apart from being a phosphate sponge however they are fast growing so treat a planted reef tank like you would a freshwater planted tank.

OP
AZL

AZL

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tony_097 said:
Red bushes are a nice addition and ulva or sea lettuce is a great and easy addition to a tank. Macros do benefit from iron in the system. The ulva is also a great food source for any marine herbivores apart from being a phosphate sponge however they are fast growing so treat a planted reef tank like you would a freshwater planted tank.
Thank you! The fish are a pair of young puffers, carnivores of course but I'm taking an algae blenny home today who might appreciate ulva when he gets through the hair algae, not sure if they eat macros though. I'm hoping not, would rather feed him veggie food once he's gotten through the current algae growth than have my ochtodes munched lol. The iron is a good shout, should really be putting that in the freshwater tank as well - it's planted and looking like it needs a boost. It won't affect the fish or soft coral will it?

Tony_097

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It shouldn’t unless you overdose as longer as you have nutrient levels high enough for growth it shouldn’t have any problem growing.

New Threads