Fascinated with different culls from my Red Cherry Shrimp.

Mar1111

I have RCS in my community tank, and seldom do the young live to be big enough for me to find and remove them. But in the last year or so I've found 10 or 12 and put them in my female guppy tank. I have even found a couple young ones from them. I seldom see 3 colors together but just caught them with my phone camera. The black one is the only one I've seen. 2 here are reddish, the only 2 of that coloration, and another is clear; there are several of them.

I know others have had some surprising colors from their culls, I guess my black one is my biggest surprise.

I'd like to see or read about what you've found!

YellowGuppy

Cool! Did you start off with only red, or did you have some other colours in your other tank as well? All of my reds beget more reds, but mixing colours can get you some pretty wild and unstable colourations.

Mar1111

YellowGuppy said:
Cool! Did you start off with only red, or did you have some other colours in your other tank as well? All of my reds beget more reds, but mixing colours can get you some pretty wild and unstable colourations.
There are only reds in that tank, and they have produced some reds, but I started finding the brownish ones and removed them. I have blue velvet in another tank but had only 4 and they were all males. I bought some younger ones, so surely some girls are there now and I hope they reproduce in time!

With the Reds, I also have Amanos, and before I knew about Amano Shrimp, I was thinking that's what they were. Of course now I know their babies won't survive.

Mar1111

YellowGuppy said:
Is the black one above a female?

Deku-Cory

I honestly want to get some Neocardina shrimp and let them breed without culling just to see what they produce, it's so interesting to me how different traits emerge. It's like breeding livebearers but without having to deal with the overpopulation issues.

Mar1111

Deku-Cory said:
I honestly want to get some Neocardina shrimp and let them breed without culling just to see what they produce, it's so interesting to me how different traits emerge. It's like breeding livebearers but without having to deal with the overpopulation issues.
That's very true! Sooner or later you could lose the traits of the originals, but could be awhile. YellowGuppy above hasn't had culls with his yet. I enjoy reds in my 40 gallon, and the blues in my 20. But I have been tempted to put one of each into the cull tank and see what happens! I actually did put a blue in there for 2 weeks when I got my new young blues. One of the males went crazy attacking them so he was moved, and was okay when I put him back. Who knows if I may see some blue one of these days?

ROFEA

Deku-Cory said:
I've had skittles tanks for a couple of years. I am not re-selling or aiming for any special color so no culling here. These were some random cool ones. I wish I could find my purple shrimp picture. It's not an opaque purple which would be so cool but a mottled iridescent purple. I also had a clear one with a speck of bright yellow on the hood and tail.

These just had a neat design.

Mar1111

ROFEA said:
I've had skittles tanks for a couple of years. I am not re-selling or aiming for any special color so no culling here. These were some random cool ones. I wish I could find my purple shrimp picture. It's not an opaque purple which would be so cool but a mottled iridescent purple. I also had a clear one with a speck of bright yellow on the hood and tail.

These just had a neat design.
I really do like that! So those just happen random... Were the parents also striped, or do you even have striped ones? I'd be so happy to find that! I need to make a tank of just shrimp, not too many babies live with guppies on the hunt!

ROFEA

Mar1111 said:
I really do like that! So those just happen random... Were the parents also striped, or do you even have striped ones? I'd be so happy to find that! I need to make a tank of just shrimp, not too many babies live with guppies on the hunt!
I think the parents were dream blues and a low grade cherry because they have the same pastel blue bodies but with red marking.
Another cutie

Top Bottom