Farming Christmas moss questions

fishietank

So I just started farming christmas moss today. I have it in a 1/3 gallon (I think) with fish tank water and pea gravel. I have it submersed and put plant fertilizer in the water and the container has no lid so it can get CO2 from the air.

I know it seems to be bad for it to have direct sunlight so it doesn't grow algae. How strong of light should it have? I think christmas moss needs brighter light than say, java moss, right? Will it be fine just being next to a medium-low lit aquarium or not?

Does it need an airstone?

People said to change the water every week. Is it 100% or 30% or what?

If anyone has done this and has tips and experience, that would be greatly appreciated.

PlantedCommunityTank132

So I just started farming christmas moss today. I have it in a 1/3 gallon (I think) with fish tank water and pea gravel. I have it submersed and put plant fertilizer in the water and the container has no lid so it can get CO2 from the air.

I know it seems to be bad for it to have direct sunlight so it doesn't grow algae. How strong of light should it have? I think christmas moss needs brighter light than say, java moss, right? Will it be fine just being next to a medium-low lit aquarium or not?

Does it need an airstone?

People said to change the water every week. Is it 100% or 30% or what?

If anyone has done this and has tips and experience, that would be greatly appreciated.
I do think that it needs more light tan java moss. do you have any Aquariums with bright lights?

Upvote 0

fishietank

I do think that it needs more light tan java moss. do you have any Aquariums with bright lights?
I do, but I don't know if that would be enough light or not, just sitting next to it.

I know that the moss sounds like it shouldn't be in direct sunlight and I should put it in a brightly lit room without sunlight on the moss, but if it needs an airstone, that would seem difficult.

Upvote 0

PlantedCommunityTank132

I do, but I don't know if that would be enough light or not, just sitting next to it.

I know that the moss sounds like it shouldn't be in direct sunlight and I should put it in a brightly lit room without sunlight on the moss, but if it needs an airstone, that would seem difficult.
could you add picture? what if you just put it in an existing tank?

Upvote 0

fishietank

could you add picture? what if you just put it in an existing tank?
I already do have christmas moss in my other tanks, I just wanted to see if I could get this to grow quickly and be able to harvest some every little while. Because I would be singling out this plant, I think I would be able to get it to grow faster instead of in a tank where the main concern is the livestock in it.

Upvote 0

PlantedCommunityTank132

I already do have christmas moss in my other tanks, I just wanted to see if I could get this to grow quickly and be able to harvest some every little while. Because I would be singling out this plant, I think I would be able to get it to grow faster instead of in a tank where the main concern is the livestock in it.
okay. are there any well lit spots in your house that don't get direct sunlight?

Upvote 0

fishietank

okay. are there any well lit spots in your house that don't get direct sunlight?
I think I could find somewhere that would work, unless maybe it needs an airstone. Christmas moss seems to like water flow more than java moss. If it does need an airstone, it might be harder to have it in a place with good lighting and by the air pumps.

Upvote 0

Blacksheep1

Could you get a brand new Tupperware tub or the like , half fill with your fert water, add your moss ,float it on top of your tank so it gets the light and condensation ?

Upvote 0

fishietank

Could you get a brand new Tupperware tub or the like , half fill with your fert water, add your moss ,float it on top of your tank so it gets the light and condensation ?
That’s an interesting idea, however there doesn’t seem to be much clearance between the water line and the lid for a container…. Doesn’t the plant need to have access to CO2? Would the lid from the Tupperware suffocate it?

Upvote 0

Blacksheep1

That’s an interesting idea, however there doesn’t seem to be much clearance between the water line and the lid for a container…. Doesn’t the plant need to have access to CO2? Would the lid from the Tupperware suffocate it?
Why put the lid on ? You can buy quite shallow ones and with them being half filled they’ll drop into the water line a little but still float.

edit — sorry for the late reply I’ve been having network issues and didn’t get a notification.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishOverseer909
  • Question
Replies
Views
V1K
  • Question
Replies
Views