Farm Pond Algae

TRAILRIDER

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know this forum is more about decorative ponds, not farm ponds but I am looking for some advice. For the first time in thirteen years I have a surface algae problem. I know that it must be a result of too many nutrients and /or too much sun. But I can't figure out what has changed? There is no more agricultural run off into it than any prior year. We have had extraordinarily hot weather for this time of year. And a lot of rain. I know there is a snapping turtle living there but that's not a huge addition to the created waste. I also have two geese and a duck on that pond, but have always had more geese and ducks than now. Any good ideas on how to create movement without electricity? Maybe a wind powered deal?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Algae blooms, no matter if pond or aquaria, are caused by out of whack conditions. Most of the time they resolve themselves, but for us that like to tinker, there are potential solutions.

How big of a pond is it? Hundreds of gallons or hectacres of water?

Barley extract can be useful. Or you may want to use entire bales. There are also pond formulated algaecides available at farm supplies and co-ops.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Macrophytes will take out a lot of nutrients to the detriment of algae if you can get them established.

TRAILRIDER

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its not a huge pond....about 60 - 70 feet across, about 10 feet deep in the center. I would have to figure out the gallons with a chart. I can wait it out, maybe with the seasons it will clear up. In a couple of months three little pigs will be playing in the pond too. So who knows what it will look like then! BTW it is the pond shown in my avatar.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice ! Chances are it's the weather toggling between dumping rain and then heating up that is causing the bloom, unless of course, your upstream neighbors are putting something extra into the water column.

Hopefully, it will resolve soon.

sloughdog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there any submerged aquatic vegetation or was there? Sometimes with heavy rains, the weedbeds can become silted over and prevent the vegetation from growing. This can result in more nutrients available for algal blooms.

TRAILRIDER

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its hard to know being a farm pond. My bet is on agricultural run off (since I am surrounded on all sides by big farms) adding excess nutrients to the water combined with heavy rains and lots of sun. It seems to be going through cycles, scummy looking, partially clear, more clear then back to scummy looking! One day it will all balance out. I just won't look at it when its scummy : )

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom