Farlowella and Otocinclus Question

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Gamer, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Gamer

Gamer Well Known Member Member

Let's see...it's pretty safe to say a farlowella cat will be compatible with otto's right? Or am I wrong in assuming that?

I have searched but cannot find much info on them being housed together.

I just been reading for years that siamese or chinese algae eaters can be aggressive toward otto's (and each other sometimes). I'm considering moving a group of otto's with my farlowella and the farlowella SHOULD be peaceful toward them right?

Just checking with the board first! :D

2. geminichick_90

geminichick_90 Valued Member Member

the farlowella should be fine with the ottos... but the only problem i see is the amount of food available for both in the tank

3. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

I've kept the 2 species together without problems. Farlowellas are OK with other fish, but like plecos, they might not tolerate another of their own kind in the same tank unless you have a male & a female. Farlowellas will eat algae wafers, so you can supplement with that.

4. OP
    OP
    Gamer

Thanks a heap guys. My only problem with wafers is when I drop them in, everyone wants it. I mean it's food of course they're gonna. But my farlowella will have to be sucking it right when my cories, and tetras are also trying to nibble on it lol.

5. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

My Farlowella (Stick Stickly) doesn't seem to be out competed when it comes to algae wafters and he's in there with a boat load of loaches. He comes out and gets what he wants. He'll even shoo the other fish away. You can also throw a wafer in at night after you turn off the lights to give him a better chance.

6. OP
    OP
    Gamer

I've added the otto's in with the farlowella and they're doing wonderful so far. It's as if they're even working together as a team when they're in the same section of the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice