Farewell...

1. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Had to say goodbye to my pet cat, Fiffy, a few days ago.

She's actually a stray kitten we found and kept coming to our house for food. We always fed her and she would always eat but only eat when we're not watching. Until one day we managed to bring her in, give her a good shower and welcomed her to the family. My parents trained her not to bite, scratch us and even do a good poop in the cat poop box. And after a few months, we got so attached to her, we loved her so much. But now we have to let her go back into the drains where she came from because my parents have no longer any time to take proper care of her. Me? I've got fish and turtles to care for. A cat would be handful with my studies.

But now she still visits for food and misses our petting and belly rubs. haha She now uses the drains as home as she use to when she was a kitten. It's sad but there's nothing else we can do. I suggested to give her away as adoption but my parents and sister refused.

Attached Files:

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:-\ This is just really sad.

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

You could almost make a sad movie out of a storyline like that

4. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

If she's still comong to your house to eat anyway...what's the difference of just letting her live there? This kind of aggervates me to be honest, as I see no difference besides that she'd just be eating inside rather than outside.

5. click Well Known Member Member

I agree with Amanda. A cat doesn't require high maintenance. Cats tend to be independent animals and don't have to be taken out for daily walks like dogs do. She would be happy to just sit in your lap and purr while you study. If she's still eating at your place, I see no reason why she has to sleep in the sewer.

It's just sad that you showed her how good life can be for a few months then kicked her back in the streets. She would have been better off. Sorry, but that's my 2 cents.

6. namehater Well Known Member Member

proper care for a cat involves scooping poop out of the litter box once a day and changing the litter out every couple of weeks. my 11yr tends to our 3 cats daily and it consists of about 5min. i dont understand the problem.

7. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I have three cats that were adopted. Even as working graduate students on a very limited budget, my husband and I wouldn't dream of turning them out. They're a part of our family and frankly he and I have gone without a lunch or dinner on a number of days these past couple of months because we needed the money for bills and supplies for our pets. I just don't think it's right to allow any animal to suffer unnecessarily, especially when they come to see their owner as part of their family. It's cruel, imo. I just can't imagine a reason to not give an animal for adoption. She will more than likely suffer disease, injury, or death if she is left to fend for herself, especially since she has clearly acclimated to humans and the lifestyle of an indoor cat.

I'm sorry. This is just absolutely breaking my heart in every way right now. :'(

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Our cats are much lower maintenance pets than our dogs or fish. If you have time to care for fish, why not a cat?

9. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Folks, let's remember to be polite when stating our opinions here.

That said, why did your mom and sister "refuse" to give the cat away for adoption. Was it because they still wanted to have it around, just not inside the house?
    I hope that the cat does fine. Maybe a neighbor or passerby will take it in.

10. namehater Well Known Member Member

i guess i should have said this is in my last post, but i am sorry for you peacemaker92, sometimes things happen that we cant control. maybe you could help it out still by building it a little house so it has the option to sleep someplace safe, warm, and clean.

we all need to remember that cats are a feral animal, it can survive in the wild, they were built to. maybe instead of it being 'cruel' to house it for a couple of months, it should be looked at as giving the cat a vacation for a few months.

would you let a homeless person live with you? whats the difference...

11. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Actually, we've bred many survival traits out of them, and we've moved them to places they weren't meant to live. We've grown them with long, fine hair, colorations that don't allow them to hide, and so on.
    As far as the "vacation" thing, it's a nice thought, but there is a flipside to it. Cats that have been brought in have further lost some survival traits (such as fear of other large predators... humans).

12. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, I have 13 indoor cats, and they would NOT survive outside at all.

13. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

13 indoor cats? You're as dedicated to cleaning litterboxes as I am to waterchanges:;laughing

14. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

:)
    I love them all to death, and the boxes aren't actually that bad.

15. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Let me guess...they're all rescues?

16. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Yep. :)
    I worked at a shelter for 7 yrs. I have 3 blind cats, one FIV+ and the others may have a few health issues, which is why I adopted them. They would have been deemed "unadoptable".

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I hear ya on the "unadoptable". That's how I ended up with my lab mix. He was one of my fosters and he bit twice (not with me-in other homes), so we signed the papers on him and we've had no problems with him. They would've had to disclose that he's bitten and he was becoming a liability issue for the rescue. He just requires a knowledgeable and responsible pack leader.

18. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry, I also meant to add that a given environment can not necessarily deal with cats. Just like any other invasive species, cats can damage an environment by killing animals not built to defend themselves against the felines.

Edit: As we are not talking about wild cats, we are talking about domesticated cats (domesticated cats are a different species from any wild cat) and as we are not talking about domesticated cats in general, but the cat in Peacemaker's original post, I've deleted a bunch of the extraneous posts.

Bringing the topic around full circle, I believe the points that have been made are:

Living inside was a nice vacation.

Countering this is that a cat that is accustomed to humans loses its fear of the single most dangerous creature in a cat's environment; humans.

I was wondering why Mom and Sister didn't want to find the cat a good home.

Domesticated cats, unlike wild cats, have had certain survival traits bred out of them (not to the same extent as, say, cows, but it's still happened).

And,
    most importantly,
    Peacemaker, we all think it sucks that you had to (sort of) lose a pet. That's always really hard.

19. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sorry for the loss of a pet peacemaker...maybe mom and sis will change their minds and u can find her a good home!
    dear lord how big is your house? mom freaks about your tank but not 13 cats?:jawdrop:

20. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Oh no peacemaker :( sorry :(