Farewell, Blue Ocean

Lacey D

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Back last April, we went into a Petsmart, and walked out with the worst looking veiltail betta in the store. It was actually kind of amazing he was still alive, and I didn't hold out much hope that he would last the week. But we had prepared for that trip for over a month, and that was the betta my son fell in love with, so that was that.

IMG_20180422_102618.jpg

With love and care he regained his fins, he made lovely bubble nests, and in every other way I could tell was happy and contented. He lived for food, dancing and begging to catch our attention, and was more active and had more personality than I ever thought possible.

IMG_20180424_180729.jpg

I caught fish fever, getting a display tank of my own and some endler and eventually a female betta, Sweetheart, of my own.

After a few months his health took a turn for the worse--his fins started rotting, getting holes and tearing, his eyes got cloudy. I found this forum, looking for help for his illness, and thanks to guidance from here I was able to get him back to health...sort of. A few months later his tail fin melted, and nothing I tried got it back. His water was pristine, and his activity was never affected(in fact he seemed to find it easier to swim), but he just looked bad. But we settled into that new normal, especially since he didn't seem to be in any distress.
IMG_20190110_200751.jpg

Then one day late last year I noticed his belly was bulging, and that it was mostly bulging out one side. I moved him into a small tank in the living room to keep a better eye on him, to make sure he wasn't getting dropsy... and it became clear that there was something inside of him, probably a tumor. But even with that he kept acting himself and never stopped his dancing and his hunting for food.

Tuesday I went into my son's room, where we had moved Ocean back to, and I noticed he was in distress--gasping and not at all interested in food. I knew the end was finally near for our sweet Ocean. But he was still swimming, still fighting. He was still alive the following morning, but by evening he was gone. I talked it over with my son, and we decide to put him under the Christmas Cactus I have in the kitchen, so that we could remember our lovely Ocean every time it blooms.

Gonna miss you, sweet boy, even if you did cause me a LOT of stress over the past year, worrying about you. But we were able to give you almost a year of freedom, of clean water, of good food, when you had basically a death sentence in your little cup. Thank you for giving us back entertainment and beauty <3

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
SIP Ocean. I just love how you rescued him and gave him an amazing home. He was comfortable before he died at least.

12Cin12

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lacey D said:
Back last April, we went into a Petsmart, and walked out with the worst looking veiltail betta in the store. It was actually kind of amazing he was still alive, and I didn't hold out much hope that he would last the week. But we had prepared for that trip for over a month, and that was the betta my son fell in love with, so that was that.

IMG_20180422_102618.jpg

With love and care he regained his fins, he made lovely bubble nests, and in every other way I could tell was happy and contented. He lived for food, dancing and begging to catch our attention, and was more active and had more personality than I ever thought possible.

IMG_20180424_180729.jpg

I caught fish fever, getting a display tank of my own and some endler and eventually a female betta, Sweetheart, of my own.

After a few months his health took a turn for the worse--his fins started rotting, getting holes and tearing, his eyes got cloudy. I found this forum, looking for help for his illness, and thanks to guidance from here I was able to get him back to health...sort of. A few months later his tail fin melted, and nothing I tried got it back. His water was pristine, and his activity was never affected(in fact he seemed to find it easier to swim), but he just looked bad. But we settled into that new normal, especially since he didn't seem to be in any distress.
IMG_20190110_200751.jpg

Then one day late last year I noticed his belly was bulging, and that it was mostly bulging out one side. I moved him into a small tank in the living room to keep a better eye on him, to make sure he wasn't getting dropsy... and it became clear that there was something inside of him, probably a tumor. But even with that he kept acting himself and never stopped his dancing and his hunting for food.

Tuesday I went into my son's room, where we had moved Ocean back to, and I noticed he was in distress--gasping and not at all interested in food. I knew the end was finally near for our sweet Ocean. But he was still swimming, still fighting. He was still alive the following morning, but by evening he was gone. I talked it over with my son, and we decide to put him under the Christmas Cactus I have in the kitchen, so that we could remember our lovely Ocean every time it blooms.

Gonna miss you, sweet boy, even if you did cause me a LOT of stress over the past year, worrying about you. But we were able to give you almost a year of freedom, of clean water, of good food, when you had basically a death sentence in your little cup. Thank you for giving us back entertainment and beauty <3
Thank you for sharing your story with us! You are such a talented writer, I hung on till the very end. SwI'm free Blue Ocean!

New Threads