Fantail Tail Rolled Up? Question

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by izzi, Aug 17, 2019.

1. izzi

izziNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    My fantail's, Mufusa, tail is rolled up (on one side) and I'm wondering what the cause is. I got him from my local pet store 2 days ago and I noticed it when I got him home. I have him in a 29 gallon tank with a Black Moor (Scarlett whom I've have since October 15 2018). 2012c68c35225fab1825fd3c7a2c3376.77967e50c0b15effe10f1b0b87a83c01.

2. KeegansTropiks

KeegansTropiksValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Hello sorry to hear about the situation.
    Is he floating or sinking?
    In my opinion might be swim bladder issues.
    Fantail, and most fancy goldfish, are actually deformed and bred to have a short stubby body. This makes them look really cute but the downside is all their internal organs are compressed as they are supposed to have a longer slender body like a common or comet goldfish.
    These fancy goldfish are very sensitive to water quality, transportation and feeding in comparison to the standard goldfish. Adding pictures of him now would really help identify the issue but usually when fish struggle to stay afloat it’s a swim bladder disease. Hope this helps. Blessings to Mufusa.

3. TheeLadyG

TheeLadyGWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +599
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi there! It is not anything to do with swim bladder. Some fish have fins that don't go straight. I have a fantail whose pectoral fins curl Inward, and her caudal fin also curls in just a little bit. They started to curl when she was about 7 months old, and that's just how they go. She is otherwise perfectly healthy.

I can only speak from my own experience, but if I were you I would just keep a close eye on the situation. It may Rectify itself entirely . keep a sharp eye for parasites or injury. Make lots of observations, and keep your water quality in top shape of course!

Now, I know this doesn't have anything to do with your question, but you should always, always quarantine any new fish. Preferably for as much as 4 weeks before adding them into your tank to make sure they are not sick. Pet store fish have been through a lot by the time you get them, they often have issues that can harm other fish in your tank if you don't get them cured and fixed up . (Jumps off soapbox)

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Many fantails at the local store tend to be culls for other strains that aren't displaying appropriate characteristics, which can include deformed tails (fused, rolled, short ect)

I wouldnt worry too much about it