Fantail sitting in corner under plants randomly.

drcise

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my fantail gold fish (Bert, there was an Ernie 5 years ago but he didnt make it) recently has been sitting in the same corner of the tank almost all day long. He's almost hiding under plants. And not moving. But when i walk into the room, he swims back and forth at a ridiculous speed, coming to the top splashing the water. He eats as crazy as before, maybe even more. But after playing for a little while he tends to go back to this corner. He's in a 33 gallon tank. All alone.
I have 2 hanging filters, 1 Penguin 1 Marine land. both rated for 30 gallons, both on. I have a cartridge filter in 1 with a nitrate pad and a nitrate removing bag (which i soak in water and aquarium salt once a week to recharege). the Marine Land i have a charcoal bag, with an aquaclear ammonia removing insert and an Algone Nitrate removing insert also.
I have 2 oxygen bubble strips in the tank. and some live plants (Anacharis Elodea). I keep his light on 12 hours a day.
lately Ive fed him 2 smushed cooked peas, twice a week. For his regular food, i alternate from Saki Hikaru (japanese expensive lol), sometimes terta flakes since he loves them too, and veggie rounds that sink.
My water numbers: 0 ammonia. 0 Nitrites. PH 7.6 the problem is my Nitrates which are 100. They have been at that level for over a year. And no matter how many water changes, plants, nitrate filters and pads (as you can tell from my set up), even the liquid drops. It never budges. I recently cleaned and scrubbed both filters. throw out the old plastic plants, bought new ones. i do a 5 gallon water change with vacuum every 1-2 weeks. I have been doing 5 gallon water changes now 2 a week. The Nitrate numbers never budge. Im at my wits end regarding that.
But Bert has been fine, except for the past week. I dont know if its the nitrates (if so, what else can i do? change the gravel? Throw out the other plastic plants?)
If it's not the nitrates what can it be? Is he lonely after 5 years in the tank by himself?
He has a white dot on hit top pectoral fin. I've posted pics of him in his corner then others of when i find him swimming normal randomly. I am not sure what that is. ANY advice would be great.
Thank you!
61249804538__A79B074B-3CA2-4EBC-8603-E1C4776C8FF8.JPGIMG_3303.jpgIMG_3306.jpg

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
drcise said:
Hi everyone, my fantail gold fish (Bert, there was an Ernie 5 years ago but he didnt make it) recently has been sitting in the same corner of the tank almost all day long. He's almost hiding under plants. And not moving. But when i walk into the room, he swims back and forth at a ridiculous speed, coming to the top splashing the water. He eats as crazy as before, maybe even more. But after playing for a little while he tends to go back to this corner. He's in a 33 gallon tank. All alone.
I have 2 hanging filters, 1 Penguin 1 Marine land. both rated for 30 gallons, both on. I have a cartridge filter in 1 with a nitrate pad and a nitrate removing bag (which i soak in water and aquarium salt once a week to recharege). the Marine Land i have a charcoal bag, with an aquaclear ammonia removing insert and an Algone Nitrate removing insert also.
I have 2 oxygen bubble strips in the tank. and some live plants (Anacharis Elodea). I keep his light on 12 hours a day.
lately Ive fed him 2 smushed cooked peas, twice a week. For his regular food, i alternate from Saki Hikaru (japanese expensive lol), sometimes terta flakes since he loves them too, and veggie rounds that sink.
My water numbers: 0 ammonia. 0 Nitrites. PH 7.6 the problem is my Nitrates which are 100. They have been at that level for over a year. And no matter how many water changes, plants, nitrate filters and pads (as you can tell from my set up), even the liquid drops. It never budges. I recently cleaned and scrubbed both filters. throw out the old plastic plants, bought new ones. i do a 5 gallon water change with vacuum every 1-2 weeks. I have been doing 5 gallon water changes now 2 a week. The Nitrate numbers never budge. Im at my wits end regarding that.
But Bert has been fine, except for the past week. I dont know if its the nitrates (if so, what else can i do? change the gravel? Throw out the other plastic plants?)
If it's not the nitrates what can it be? Is he lonely after 5 years in the tank by himself?
He has a white dot on hit top pectoral fin. I've posted pics of him in his corner then others of when i find him swimming normal randomly. I am not sure what that is. ANY advice would be great.
Thank you!
61249804538__A79B074B-3CA2-4EBC-8603-E1C4776C8FF8.JPGIMG_3303.jpgIMG_3306.jpg
It could be long term effects from high nitrate maybe! I had high nitrates and found out it was be cause my tap water! I now use.bottled water. Are the white patches part of his colouring?

OP
D

drcise

Reaction score
Hi Sarah,
No they were not originally there, they appeared a few months ago, wasn't sure if it was age. Does that look like anything in particular?

New Threads