Fantail Goldfish And Angels? Also Cycling.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wapooshe, Apr 22, 2017.

1. wapoosheValued MemberMember

So i have a 75 gallon tank in the process of fishless cycling. My 2 fantail goldfish are in a 15 gallon tank as of now and I know they are going to need to move to a bigger tank when they become adults. My two goldfish are doing amazing right now in my 15 gal and are very healthy. I was wondering could I move them into my 75 gal fishless cycling tank right now so I could speed up cycling, while also giving them a new home. I plan on making this tank a community tank and really want angels and read that they are compatible in one tank. Of course after angels I plan on adding a few more different species. Now that I explained it all here are my list of questions:

1. Can my Goldfish and Angels live peacefully in a 75 gal tank?
    2. Can I put my Goldfish in a fishless cycled tank right now?
    3. How would I introduce my goldfish into this tank?

Just thought I should add my stocking plan:
    2 Angelfish
    6 Congo or Rainbow tetras
    1 Clown Pleco
    2 German Blue Rams
    and 2 Fantail Goldfish if they can enter :D

I imagine that my stocking is under stocking a 75 gal tank so the semi-aggressive Angels might leave the goldfish alone since they have a lot of room. This also would be great because I could turn my Goldfish tank into a QT tank, since initially I couldn't afford to make another tank for QT. Thanks for taking the time to read this all and help me out! :)

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Gold fish are a cold water fish and aren't compatible with tropical fish. I wouldn't put fish in a tank that isn't cycled.

3. wapoosheValued MemberMember

Correct Goldfish are cold water fish. However, Fantail Goldfish recommended temps are 70-80 F. While Angelfish have a temp of 78-80 F. Would these temps not be compatible?

4. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Fancy goldfish need water below 70f

5. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Pretty sure fantail gold fish need 65-70, can they live in hotter water...sure, but they will not live any where near the 20 years that their life expectancy is.

6. wapoosheValued MemberMember

yeah i have fantail goldfish :p

7. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Not to play devil's advocate here, but I believe the temp issues for goldfish have more to do with adequate oxygenation of the water; cold water can hold more dissolved oxygen. Goldfish can survive year round in ponds and are from hot, humid east and southeast Asian countries.

THAT BEING SAID, I believe goldfish of any variety are incompatible with most everything except other goldfish. Warmer temperatures also cause them to have a higher metabolism, which in turn means more waste... and they produce a LOT of waste already. Higher metabolism also means a shorter lifespan (this applies to any fish).

8. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

You could have 2 fancy goldfish and 3 dojos instead though

9. wapoosheValued MemberMember

by the looks of what everyone is saying I guess I'll keep my goldfish separated from the community tank. Thanks for the help guys :)

10. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Fantails are fancy goldfish.

1. They may live peacefully, though I would not be surprised to see an angel nipping away at the goldfish as they blunder around. They tend to be kings/queens of the tanks.

2. No, you should not put your goldfish into a tank that is fishless-cycing. This ruins the point. The 15g will suffice for another few weeks until the cycle completes

3. Goldfish go with goldfish and the occasional dojo loach. They are not tropical fish, there's no way around it. Honestly since you have the goldfish already I would add them to the fully-cycled 75g, then get 2-3 more fancy goldfish. As said above, dojos are another option that have been proven to work well with goldfish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice