Fantail goldfish always at bottom corner

Aqcapt

I have a fancy (fantail) goldfish which I kept in a 200G along with two iridescent shark, a turtle and a carp mix breed (Which fish is this? | Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help Forum | 490945). Recently the carp started showing aggression towards the goldfish and tore its tail pretty badly. So I moved to fantail to the 25G to save it from bullying.

Its tail is healing nicely (new white growth is visible in pics and video) correct me if I am wrong and this is fin rot and not new growth though the tail seems to be getting better and not more torn up.

Ever since the shift the fantail goldfish is mostly present in the bottom corner, below the filter (pics included). It used to swim around in the larger 200g even though it was being bullied by the larger fish. Even when I put it in the 200G for the first time it was pretty active. Though it does swim around sometimes but as soon as someone approaches the tank it darts back to the corner. And when I put in food it eats it normally (video)
differences between the two tanks:
size : new tank 20g old tank 200g
tank mates: new- alone, old- two iridescent shark, a turtle and a carp mix breed (carp was bullying the goldfish pretty bad)
old tank was not planted new tank is high tech planted (java fern, java moss, anubias, ludwigia repens)
temperature: old 28c new 26c
Cycling: old tank was cycled new is cycling could not wait for cycle to complete because of bullying. two 50% water changes every week.
Ammonia: old 0ppm new 0.25 just before water change
nitrate: old 10-30 ppm new 20-40 ppm
water source is same for both which has nitrate of about 5-10 ppm but is the only available option.

Are the white spots fin rot and not new growth?
Is this Behavior just new tank shyness or something more severe? What can I do to help? Will a bigger tank/tankmate help?
video link:

Attachments

• goldfish.jpg
    goldfish.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 14
  • goldfish_hide_1.jpg
    goldfish_hide_1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 15
  • goldfish_hide_2.jpg
    goldfish_hide_2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 14
  • goldfish_hide_3.jpg
    goldfish_hide_3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 13
  • goldfish_tail.jpg
    goldfish_tail.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 13
  • tail_1.jpg
    tail_1.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 13
  • tail_2.jpg
    tail_2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 14
  • tail_3.jpg
    tail_3.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 13
  • tail_4.jpg
    tail_4.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 13
  • tail_5.jpg
    tail_5.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 11

jtjgg

did you take a little bit of cycled media from the 200g filter and place it into the 20g filter?

are you using Prime? it'll help detox ammonia for up to 48hrs.

Upvote 0

altermac

High tech planted tank implies co2 ?
The fish is in the corner with the filter intake? Maybe there is the best flow and you have low oxigen and high co2 levels.

Shut off co2 and put in an airstone for an hour. Look if he changes his behaviour.

Upvote 0

Aqcapt

did you take a little bit of cycled media from the 200g filter and place it into the 20g filter?

are you using Prime? it'll help detox ammonia for up to 48hrs.
I am using prime.
Added cycled media just now (thanks for reminding I had totally forgot) to the tank, but it might still take some time to cycle. (Though I am using stability) I am able to keep on top of ammonia levels with water changes
My main concern is should I start medicating (kanaplex + furan2)
High tech planted tank implies co2 ?
The fish is in the corner with the filter intake? Maybe there is the best flow and you have low oxigen and high co2 levels.

Shut off co2 and put in an airstone for an hour. Look if he changes his behaviour.
There are already 3 airstones present and co2 levels are not too high drop checker is more blue than green.
Still will try shutting off C02 and observing.

Upvote 0

jtjgg

i would hold off on the medication, it doesn't look bad. keep up with the water changes and it should heal up on its own.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aqcapt
Replies
Views
WBJR
Replies
Views
calebbarrera10
Replies