fanning

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have two high fin platy's that constantly fann eachother-- they are playful but sometimes aggressive-- and thier bodies kind of curve when they are in fann mode-- is this normal?? I am new to tropical tanks. Also one of them has begun to get dark spots on his belly and fins-- they are pretty spots though-- is this normal?? I would appreciate any feedback-- Thanks LILA

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pictures would help us decide what the spots are. any chance of pictures?
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have read that certain fish get dark spots during breeding times (can't remember which species it was). Maybe this "fanning" is the breeding behavior?

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
the spots look like pepper has been sprinked on-- they are very small-- i will try to get pics up by the weekend-- the two fish get real close to one another and kind of smack eachother with thier bodies then chase eachother all over the tank-- how will i know if they are breeding?? should i not ciphon the tank bottom until i know there are no eggs???

Manicivy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've had breeding platies before and the fanning is probably breeding behavior. Do you know if you have 2 males or a male/female? Also platies are live-bearers so they don't lay eggs. Their young come out swimming!

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the sexes--- but thanks for the info-- i will be on the lookout for babies!! Is there a way to tell what the sex is of fish??? LILA

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Platys are livebearers, meaning they have their live just like people do. Look at their under bellies are the different? or are they the same. This picture should help you in sexing your fish
Carol

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
That's a good picture of the sexes. That's what I like about livebearers, they are easy to sex.

Butterfly said:
Platys are livebearers, meaning they have their live just like people do. Look at their under bellies are the different? or are they the same. This picture should help you in sexing your fish
Carol

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks so much-- i hope i have babies-that woul dbe so exciting- by accident i posted another topic RE: breeding platies. My male is after the other male who actually was sucessful with the female. is this normal??

Manicivy

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's better to have more females than males because the males may fight and they will tire out the female from all the chasing/mating. If you only have one male and two females then he will divide his time between the two and allow them to rest. If your males are fighting, you might want to get more females if you have the room in your tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom