FancyBubbles' fish hobby

FancyBubbles

Figured it would be easier to keep track of things in one post instead of updating my status every once in a while. So this is the place where I write about certain updates on fish, tanks, etc. Such as when they fell ill/recovery, tank cycle crashing, and other stuff similar to fish keeping.

To start off this journal, I recently got a Glo betta. Her name is lemon. I honestly do not like these variety, but as sensitive I am to animals lol, she came towards me when I was looking at her cup. So I got her, she settled in well in her 5.5 gallon tank. Pictures here were the conditions she was in.

EsJqGrpXcAUDO_b.jpg

EsJqGKdXcAQkeG9.jpg

EsJL4L4XAAAV4WJ.jpg

(excuse the brightness, I have grow lights on the shelf for my plants)
Yeah, not so good. Forgot to take a pic of the water but it was pretty cloudy. Jumping to right now, she's looking more alive and her fins are healing up from the mild fin rot. Has a suspicion of redness/swollen on one side of the gill. Lemon jeeps scratching on that side. They're most likely gill flukes, as she is flashing on that side of the gill only every once in a while. I hope to see her make a full recovery.

Alucard is currently being treated for velvet, luckily is not too far down yet. As he is still eating and moving around normally. Though I could have sworn he does have natural gold/metallic coloring. What I'm noticing is the increase in the gold specks and the dull color he's getting. Hoping to see a full recovery for him too.

Everything else is good, my goldfish are doing well. I was so close to taking a break on fish keeping because of various life issues, but I realized pets in general somehow give me hope and motivation to wake up every morning and to look forward to it. I will not be taking a break anytime soon, if I really needed it though I probably will no worries.

FancyBubbles

Not much of a change, but I switched Alucard's filter to a hob filter. The media used for the previous sponge filter is being used as a pre-filter on the intake. I think I'm starting to prefer HOB filters for whatever reason, for tanks 10 gallons or more. Lemon is in a 5.5 gallon with a sponge filter. I don't want to change hers but don't have another spare filter anyway.

Lemon is not scratching her gill anymore. Treatment is still going to continue for a bit so flukes won't come back. I'm most likely going to stop treatment for Alucard as I am coming to a conclusion that he doesn't have velvet...though not confirmed yet. I am sure it's velvet because of the dull color and increase amounts of gold coloring. Metallic shine is his normal coloring, so it's hard to tell.

Msdp11009

I agree not my favorite variety but with the lights near by a good combo! I do lovr the name.
Your words about pets giving hope and motivation resonates deeply with me

FancyBubbles

Redness around Lemon's gills are disappearing, seeing a lot of improving as far as appearance. Still no flashing. I still notice a slight bump in that area but nothing to get in the way of her breathing or movement.

It looks like I haven't mentioned this yet, but recently got some polishing pads. Alucard's tank water looks a lot cleaner, I'm liking how it looks. Have them in the 2 filters of my goldfish tank. Both tanks already looked clear to the eye, but for the goldfish tank the pads brown pretty quickly. I never thought too much of having pre filter media on the intake would help but it definitely does, along with other benefits.

Tempted to get another fish for the empty 12 gallon that I have in my room...multiple tank syndrome very much? I tried to downsize to 2 tanks but ended up getting Lemon. Or a shrimp tank. Always wanted a shrimp tank but my mind quickly changed to wanting another betta.

FancyBubbles

Sad update...Lemon didn't make it. She passed away a few days ago. I have a snail and shrimp only in the tank by now, but still upset about it.

Alucard is well, though. Some signs of aging is visible but nothing too serious.

FancyBubbles

Molting week for my ghost shrimp, lol. I've also put 2 glass marbles (flat variety) on the terracotta food plate that I use so the one nerite that eats on there has a easier time eating. I've noticed she scoots the food around till eventually giving up but then trying again. It has been helping so far, being able to climb on them and on the food. Idk maybe I'm too worried about the little things.

FancyBubbles

Well then, how did you get under there

20210213_174023.jpg

20210213_174455.jpg

FancyBubbles

All day today I noticed my nerite snails visiting the food plate, I guess they finally gave it a try. I haven't seen my 2 ghost shrimps since noon, but I saw a molt lying around on the gravel so they're most likely just hiding. The other two are just out and about doing shrimp things.

FancyBubbles

Everyone's going crazy for the tums tablet and the algae wafer One other nerite is on her way

Never seen my nerites on here at the same time
20210216_220634.jpg

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom