Fancy or feeder Guppy?

emilia

Reaction score
I have a newly set up 10 gallon tank and have just added two male fancy guppies to my existing one. Up until now I thought that he was just younger and therefore smaller and less colourful than the new additions. But I just read the post "Guppies VS Guppies" and I suspect that he may be one of the ...others!!! He is considerably smaller, less colourful (he is half black half silver-gray with orange tail and some orange marks), his tail seems like it's been trimmed with scissors (compared to the smooth-finish, nice-flowing tails of his new mates), he is less active and likes to be mainly on his own hiding away from the others (except for the occasional playtime). Is he intimidated, or is this normal behaviour? Is he, in fact, a "normal" feeder guppy? Am I wrong to have added two male fancy guppies with him? (I didn't know there were different types until I saw them all together in the tank!) Does he need different care than the others? I am considering turning this into a community aquarium by adding a trio (1:2) of platies, a small cory and maybe a trio of zebra danios. Is that wise? I would appreciate all help from you experienced aquarists!

darrenimo

Reaction score
Erm...please don't mind me for asking, but what is wrong with having a, as you put it, "feeder"guppy in your tank?

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
darrenimo said:
Erm...please don't mind me for asking, but what is wrong with having a, as you put it, "feeder"guppy in your tank?
Feeder guppies are less colorful and are used to feed other fish. :'(

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think your tank is overcrowded. Zebra danios need to be kept in groups of 6 and need more room than a 10 gallon so I think if you return them to the pet store it will be perfect. The cory would also be lonely by itself and needs 2 other corys to be happy. I don't think it is normal behavior if the guppy hides away. If it looks as if its fin has been trimmed by a scissor, maybe it is a fin rot? :-\

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom