Fancy Guppy Planted Nano Tank? Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I'm just getting into fish again after a long time. I now have a 40 gallon planted tank and I want to get Fancy guppies. I'm going to get a 3 gallon tank for them in my bedroom but I would like to have it planted can I do that was such a small tank? Also I would like to have quite a few of them but I know I will still need either Coreys or something for algae and to clean up the tank. what would you suggest?

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

I wouldn't suggest putting corydoras in such a small tank, They are happiest in groups of 6 or more and 3 gallon wouldn't be able to support them. You could try some snails?

Not sure what you mean by 'quite a few' but guppies do best in a 2:1 ratio 1 male two females. Otherwise the female is constantly harassed by males. Or an all male stock will become will be rivals, not extremely aggressive amongst each other, but nip the fancy tails quite often if they don't have a female to distract them or plenty of hiding spaces. Then you would have to worry about nipped fins, bacteria, and keeping your water tip top.

You could try some Cherry Shrimp, their good for small set ups & I think they contrast very nicely in a planted tank, compared to some other shrimp species their less territorial so you can keep more :)

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I agree with Crissandra, 3 gallons is too small for corys, they're also not algae eaters they're 95% carnivores.
    In a 3 gallon I'd put no more than 2 guppies in it, males only as it wouldn't be able to support any fry