Fancy Guppy Injury

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Judah, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Judah

Judah New Member Member

Hello all, just joined this forum and it looks like an amazing community! I'd like a little help with a fish in my planted aquarium, info in the video but if you don't feel like watching basically my aquarium has sustained a death and another injury. now, I do not know if it is injury due to aggressive fish or hitting rocks but a fancy guppy's tail has torn and this happened to one that looked identical to the injured one and it healed completely and then tore again and died. I do not want this one dying as it is one of my favorite fish.
    Any incite would be amazing

2. Mrktcr

Mrktcr Valued Member Member

It would help us possibly figure out what is happening if we could get a little more info. What is your stocking, size of tank, water parameters? Beautiful tank by the way!!!

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Can you list your pH, temp, ammnonia, nitrites, and nitrates? How are you testing them?

4. OP
    OP
    Judah

Judah New Member Member

Tank is a 35 gallon with 2 fancy guppy, 1 molly, 4 neons, 2 amano shrimp, 2 Siamese algae eater (bastards), 1 red bristlenose pleco. Using a freshwater master test kit. Ph- 7.1 (I am having trouble keeping it at 6.8 where I want it) Ammonia is at about 0.1 (also having trouble with this as it wont get to a perfect 0)

5. TexasDomer

Don't worry about your pH - it is fine and safe for your fish. Trying to change it will cause more problems.

What are the nitrites and nitrates?

You have some stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them.

The guppies may be being nipped, or it may be the beginning of fin rot from an uncycled tank and the ammonia.

What is your water change schedule? How often and how much?

6. OP
    OP
    Judah

Judah New Member Member

I change the water once a week about 15% as it takes a lot of water. What stocking issue? I've stuck tot the rules of 1" of fish per gallon and currently am under...
    I have had this tank for about a year now and have lost 2 fish one was a fine when I went to bed then wake up and the fish is against the filter dead. The other fish died from what I believe is it's tail. It's been a little while since i have tested nitrite and nitrate since it got to 0.1 aswell

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  7. EternalDancer

EternalDancer Well Known Member Member

The 1"/g rule is now considered outdated, as it literally only covers fish size, and does not include things like waste produced, activity level, etc.

For example; three 10" Pleco in a 35g will generate a lot more waste than 30 ember tetra.

30 Danio need a much bigger tank than 10 danio, 10 hatchets, and 10 panda Cory (fish all comparable size) because danio are extremely active mid-fish, where as hatchets hang round the surface, and corys occupy the bottom.

Neon tetras for sure need to be kept in groups of at least 6, and in a 35g probably need upped to ~10...

I'm not sure about the other fish, @TexasDomer, @BottomDweller, and others can be of much more assistance there.

Algae eaters are bad news. When small, they eat algae. As they mature, they turn to your fish, eat their protective slime coat and kill them instead of cleaning your tank.
    Nerite snails are the best algae controllers, in my opinion, but the best bet is to get to the cause of the growth: usually because lights are on too long. I'd go to only having your lights on ~6 hours a day for a while and see if that helps.

He is an absolutely stunning fish, and your tank is beautiful. Hopefully you get the answers you're looking for and make your tank a roaring success.

8. OP
    OP
    Judah

Judah New Member Member

I keep my lights on for about 8-9 hours currently, I don't know of a human way top get rid of my algae eaters or how I will get the bastards out cause all they do is hide and nip

9. EternalDancer

EternalDancer Well Known Member Member

Drop your lights back to 6 hours.

Contact your local fish store and see if they'll take the fish back. You'll probably get nothing for them, but at least your other fish will be safe.

Catching them... you're on your own there. Mid-water change (when you've took the old water out, before you put new water in) and double-netting may be easier.

10. OP
    OP
    Judah

Judah New Member Member

My giant rock is gonna make it extremely hard to catch all the fish for when I move in a few months... How many Nerite snails do you recommend as I will be trading my siamese for either amano or nerite

11. Edwinstz

Edwinstz Valued Member Member

i think only cae do that, maybe wrong on that tho

12. TexasDomer

Up the neons to 6+ - I'd add another 6 for a total of 10.

Rehome the SAEs - they're too large for this tank. Remove the rock if you have to.

The inch per gallon issue is terrible and should not be used, as mentioned.

I'm confused how you're getting 0.1 ppm for all readings. Can you test everything again, today, and post pics of the tubes?

I would try to do larger water changes since you're having deaths. 50% weekly is a good routine maintenance schedule, and while you're having issues, I'd move to 50% 2-3 times a week. Clean water can only help.

13. OP
    OP
    Judah

Judah New Member Member

I am not having death(s), I had a death. and removing the rock is not possible XD I will change the water more often and once I get the chance i'll do a test today

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice