Help Fancy guppy attacked, who did it?

hannah662parker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys

So I think one of my male fancy guppies was attacked. I have 14 in a 20 gallon tank with snails, one clown pleco and a male dwarf gourami. At first I only had 6 guppies and planned on 10 max, but one of my other tanks fell to columnaris and I evacuated the 5 guppies that were in there. One didn’t make it, I think it had worms so I had to put him down. I treated the tank with antibiotics and salt and for almost a month it’s been fine and I haven’t lost any other fish.

But today I got home from work and one of my guppies was hiding under the big piece of driftwood I had in my tank. I got him out from under it with a net and saw that his tail was tattered and he was acting weird. His tail had definitely not been like that this morning. And he tried to swim around for a little bit, but he was having trouble staying afloat and eventually sank back down to the bottom. He was straining upwards as he was swimming. I wish I had a picture but I just couldn’t get one of him. He’s currently hiding again. I didn’t see any other wounds but his tail.

I thought my clown pleco might have done it because for the past two days he’s been much more active and actually visible during the day. I thought maybe he’d gotten aggressive for some reason, but everywhere online says they’re completely peaceful to other species. I’m thinking it must’ve been my male dwarf gourami. I’ve seen him chase the guppies away from his little corner before, but he’s never attacked anyone or even nipped fins. Is he feeling too crowded and do you think he’s the one that attacked them??

I have a really good local fish store that I wouldn’t be opposed to rehoming my dwarf gouramI if he’s getting aggressive. What do you guys think would be best?

OP
hannah662parker

hannah662parker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
Most likely the GouramI from what i've read about Dwarfs they can be mean..
I thought so too but I’ve been told bettas are worse and all of mine have always been babies

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
hannah662parker said:
I thought so too but I’ve been told bettas are worse and all of mine have always been babies
Any fish can be either super cool or a super jerk. I would rehome the DG honestly. I very highly doubt its the Clown. I have a 20 lng with about the same amont of guppies a clown 2 otto cats and 2 SAE and everyone is very peaceful.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Definitely the dwarf, they have a reputation for being aggressive, especially with colourful and flashy fish.
Not every fish is the same, reputations are generally just broad judgments but all that can mean is that in your experience so far you've just been lucky. Many betta are in fact as aggressive as advertised, but you can get lucky as not all are.

OP
hannah662parker

hannah662parker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PascalKrypt said:
Definitely the dwarf, they have a reputation for being aggressive, especially with colourful and flashy fish.
Not every fish is the same, reputations are generally just broad judgments but all that can mean is that in your experience so far you've just been lucky. Many betta are in fact as aggressive as advertised, but you can get lucky as not all are.
Dang :( does it make sense that he attacked so suddenly?? He has chased before and got excited and jumped out of the water before, but he’s never bit anybody. Do you think he’s just tired of living with the guppies??

He’s lived with guppies since August. This is the max he’s ever lived with though

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
hannah662parker said:
Dang :( does it make sense that he attacked so suddenly?? He has chased before and got excited and jumped out of the water before, but he’s never bit anybody. Do you think he’s just tired of living with the guppies??
I've only had one DG and it was a powder blue but one of my mollies harassed it so all the info i'm giving is from research and other people stories. I have a Big male Pearl GouramI that is a saint with at least 40 guppies vonrio tetras serpae tetras otto cats plecos cory cats ramshorn and nerite snails SAE's and has never showed any aggression towards anyone.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
So I see two explanations here based on what is written.
One is that the Dwarf GouramI may simply have been an adolescent before and has matured at this point, which can often bring out aggression that wasn't here before (or he just suddenly snapped, it can happen).
The other is that possibly the guppy has some kind of infection or illness and may have been weak and got its tail sucked into a filter intake? And that's the way it got tattered. Also possibly why it is still hiding so much (fish that feel miserable tend to isolate themselves).

New Threads