Fancy Guppies

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Back on topic, I also don't know why the are not recommended more. I know some strains can be a bit difficult to keep but in general they are very nice in a tank.
RK
Which strains are hard to keep?

RandomKayos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Which strains are hard to keep?
For me? Any fancy variety. I can keep feeder guppies with no problems but fancy's never last more than a week no matter how I try. Parameters can be text book perfect and still no go. I finally gave up a few years ago. Despite what some may think of me I'm not into fish torture.

RK

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For me? Any fancy variety. I can keep feeder guppies with no problems but fancy's never last more than a week no matter how I try.
RK
Ok thanks.

I know some strains can be a bit difficult to keep but in general they are very nice in a tank.
RK
In this statement, you presented it as a fact.

I'm interesting in guppies for my future tank, has everyone found fancy guppies difficult to keep?

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In this statement, you presented it as a fact.

I'm interesting in guppies for my future tank, has everyone found fancy guppies difficult to keep?
Here's my experience: I bought my first guppys as some of my first fish. They went in an uncycled tank which never really had perfect water parameters. They lasted longer than any other fish! I tried another in that tank, who died straight away, but he was from a worse source. So, if you get them from a good LFS - according to my experience, it should be OK.

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My fancy guppies are die-hard. No matter what they are always happily swimming like nothing is going on... I have never lost one.

Although, they have always been in a small school, and a cycled tank.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For me? Any fancy variety. I can keep feeder guppies with no problems but fancy's never last more than a week no matter how I try. Parameters can be text book perfect and still no go...
RK
I've got that kind of luck with goldfish. When I started naming them by numbers I knew it was a sign to give up on them.

clinton1621

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never had any problems with fancy guppies =)

The issue... like mentioned above, is the source, if you buy poorly kept fish then yes they will most likely get sick and die... because guppies are small fish which means they cant fight off disease well =(

The only other issue would be stocking... too many males vs females is not good (I would say 1m to 3fm is good)... an overstocked tank, or one that is too small is not good. I know this will catch some flack... but I honestly wouldnt recommend anything less than 20g for a nice breeding group of fancy guppies. Now to slightly correct that statement... you can have a smaller "breeding only" tank, but if you want the main display tank to be the breeding setup, you really want at least 20g or more for success.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never had any problems with fancy guppies =)

The issue... like mentioned above, is the source, if you buy poorly kept fish then yes they will most likely get sick and die... because guppies are small fish which means they cant fight off disease well =(

The only other issue would be stocking... too many males vs females is not good (I would say 1m to 3fm is good)... an overstocked tank, or one that is too small is not good. I know this will catch some flack... but I honestly wouldnt recommend anything less than 20g for a nice breeding group of fancy guppies. Now to slightly correct that statement... you can have a smaller "breeding only" tank, but if you want the main display tank to be the breeding setup, you really want at least 20g or more for success.
But you can keep only males if you don't have a few fry tanks.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Huh? A fry tank isnt a requirement, it will cut down on losses but you dont have to have one.
Well, if you are going to keep the two sexes together you obviously want to breed them so you'll probably want a fry tank. It isn't a requirement - but you usually lose a fair amount of fry without one.

clinton1621

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thats true, but most people unless they are planning on selling them, would not want to save all the fry lol... that would be hundreds of guppies! Also keeping a heavily planted tank and some floating plants will help cut down on losing fry, they will have more hiding spots and food =)

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats true, but most people unless they are planning on selling them, would not want to save all the fry lol... that would be hundreds of guppies! Also keeping a heavily planted tank and some floating plants will help cut down on losing fry, they will have more hiding spots and food =)
It really depends on how many you want to keep really.

ninilie

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have guppys in all of my tanks now. I really love them. Got 3 strains going. If you get LFS guppies then they need to be acclimated very slowly because they are stressed too much. Also try buying pregnant ones, the fry once born will not be as frail because they will be born in your tank. I still got acouple store mutts that im slowly selling off to the LFS then only strains i got from aquabid after that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom