Fancy Goldfish

XxTokingBeautyxX

New Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
11
Points
8
Hello, after my common goldfish passed away after a few years I recently got an oranda goldfish, a fantail, and a calico fantail. Can anybody give me an estimate on their age? I would much appreciate any tips! Also, can they be kept with platys? Here's some images of my new little friends. ( they are currently in a smaller tank under quarantine but they have a 40 gallon tank ready for them! )
 

Attachments

mimo91088

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
282
Points
73
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not a breeder so I couldn't guess at age, but I can say they look young. As for the platies, I always reccomend keeping goldies with only other goldies. That being said, it's very much a "do as I say, not as I do" type of deal. I'm hesitant to even mention my goldies tankmates, as I'm sure everyone will say it's a disaster. But my tank has been running smooth for at least 2 years and everyone is fat and healthy. It's just way easier and safer to go all goldies.
 

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Messages
50
Reaction score
24
Points
18
Experience
5 years
Congrats on your goldies! I'm sorry your other goldfish passed.
How long are they? They look young as far as I can tell.
I don't recommend putting platys with goldfish. Platys are tropical fish that need a heated tank. Goldfish are coldwater fish that do not need a heater and tend not to like temps higher than 72F. I wouldn't get a heater if you can avoid it. Goldfish also get very large, and may eventually get large enough to eat the platys. Goldfish will try to eat anything that fits in their mouths. My goldie can stuff 6 good sized peas in his mouth!
A 40 gallon tank is pretty good, but since it looks like you might have 2 orandas (it's hard to tell, pics are kind of foggy), you may want to eventually get a bigger tank. Orandas are known for getting exceptionally large.
 

mimo91088

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
282
Points
73
Experience
5 to 10 years
A lot of fancies like the temp a bit higher actually. My guys are in a heated tank. But the common 78 is still too high for daily temp. I'd recommend 72 as a base, rather than a max. Max I'd say 78.
Also, I agree with the thing about orandas getting huge. A 40 wil work if you stay on top of it, but a 55 is better.
 

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Messages
50
Reaction score
24
Points
18
Experience
5 years
mimo91088 said:
A lot of fancies like the temp a bit higher actually. My guys are in a heated tank. But the common 78 is still too high for daily temp. I'd recommend 72 as a base, rather than a max. Max I'd say 78.
Also, I agree with the thing about orandas getting huge. A 40 wil work if you stay on top of it, but a 55 is better.
Correct me if I'm totally missing the boat, but I always thought that it wasn't the temperature per se, it was the oxygen content in the water, as warmer water holds less oxygen. Don't goldfish have high oxygen requirements? I thought 72 was getting out of the ideal zone.
 

mimo91088

Valued Member
Messages
393
Reaction score
282
Points
73
Experience
5 to 10 years
WrenFeenix said:
Correct me if I'm totally missing the boat, but I always thought that it wasn't the temperature per se, it was the oxygen content in the water, as warmer water holds less oxygen. Don't goldfish have high oxygen requirements? I thought 72 was getting out of the ideal zone.
You're right, but it's not often a problem even at higher temps. Goldfish need a lot of filtration, which tends to turn the water over and stir it up enough to keep plenty oxygen. I kept mine at 78 for over a year with no ill effects before deciding to move the temp down.
 

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Messages
50
Reaction score
24
Points
18
Experience
5 years
mimo91088 said:
You're right, but it's not often a problem even at higher temps. Goldfish need a lot of filtration, which tends to turn the water over and stir it up enough to keep plenty oxygen. I kept mine at 78 for over a year with no ill effects before deciding to move the temp down.
Interesting! When I finally get the ability to have a 40 breeder, I might get a heater. I get worried sometimes that my fish is too cold. Not now though, I'm pushing my landlord, and my power outlet, enough as it is.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

XxTokingBeautyxX

New Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
11
Points
8
WrenFeenix said:
Congrats on your goldies! I'm sorry your other goldfish passed.
How long are they? They look young as far as I can tell.
I don't recommend putting platys with goldfish. Platys are tropical fish that need a heated tank. Goldfish are coldwater fish that do not need a heater and tend not to like temps higher than 72F. I wouldn't get a heater if you can avoid it. Goldfish also get very large, and may eventually get large enough to eat the platys. Goldfish will try to eat anything that fits in their mouths. My goldie can stuff 6 good sized peas in his mouth!
A 40 gallon tank is pretty good, but since it looks like you might have 2 orandas (it's hard to tell, pics are kind of foggy), you may want to eventually get a bigger tank. Orandas are known for getting exceptionally large.
Thank you! I have 1 oranda and 2 fantails...excited to watch them grow! :) any other snacks you like to feed your goldies apart from the peas or other traditional goldfish foods?

mimo91088 said:
A lot of fancies like the temp a bit higher actually. My guys are in a heated tank. But the common 78 is still too high for daily temp. I'd recommend 72 as a base, rather than a max. Max I'd say 78.
Also, I agree with the thing about orandas getting huge. A 40 wil work if you stay on top of it, but a 55 is better.
My house is always in the 70s and the temperature in the tank always reads lowest 71 and highest 74 so I think theyll be good without the heater like the past goldy I used to have. Thanks for the tips on the temperature range! Theres so much controversy on these topics its crazy!

Mr. Kgnao said:
For what it's worth, I think platies, especially variatus, do fine at sub-tropical temperatures.
I'd like to add some to my tank since my goldfish are still fairly small, and it's always nice to add some more color if space permits .....hopefully they do well with the same temp...thank you!
 

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Messages
50
Reaction score
24
Points
18
Experience
5 years
XxTokingBeautyxX said:
Thank you! I have 1 oranda and 2 fantails...excited to watch them grow! :) any other snacks you like to feed your goldies apart from the peas or other traditional goldfish foods?
I feed my goldfish blanched spinach, blanched zucchini, blanched green beans, blanched cucumber, thawed frozen peas... I blanch it so it’s soft enough for him to eat. I tried kale, but he wouldn’t eat it. Goldies like broccoli too. I don’t give it to my guy because it gives him bad gas, though it is hilarious to see a goldfish fart.
My feeding schedule is pellets in the morning, then veggies or repashy in the evening depending on what day of the week it is. He gets peas on Mondays.:D
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

XxTokingBeautyxX

New Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
11
Points
8
WrenFeenix said:
I feed my goldfish blanched spinach, blanched zucchini, blanched green beans, blanched cucumber, thawed frozen peas... I blanch it so it’s soft enough for him to eat. I tried kale, but he wouldn’t eat it. Goldies like broccoli too. I don’t give it to my guy because it gives him bad gas, though it is hilarious to see a goldfish fart.
My feeding schedule is pellets in the morning, then veggies or repashy in the evening depending on what day of the week it is. He gets peas on Mondays.:D
Thank you so much for the info! I definitely want to add some variety for my little guys, I know we all like something different here and there 4]
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom