Fancy Goldfish?

1. Chlorophyll.And.Light Initiate Member

Moving aside from my bettas, I've recently acquired a 25 gallon tank accompanied with an Aquaclear 70, Marineland heater, and a clamp light(?). I was wondering if this aquarium is good for one Fancy goldfish?
  2. Over It Well Known Member Member

Most on here wouldn't agree with me, but I think 1 Ranchu or Pearlscale would be fine in there. Also a Black Moor Could be a good choice. You will absolutely have stay on top of water changes and cleaning up any uneaten food asap as one missed water change could be very bad. With that said if you are dedicated and test the water and do changes as needed without fail I think you should have a happy fish.

I will say that I am not a fan of Goldfish being kept by themselves. Most of them really, really enjoy and need another Goldfish friend. Possibly look for an older fish that needs a new home and is happy living by itself. That way you save a life and have a happy fish. Goldfish really are the best.

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Personally I would do at least a 40 gallon for a couple fancy goldfish. They really are poop machines, and like to have company.
  4. Over It Well Known Member Member

I will say you might be surprised by what you find. I "adopted" ( was asked to take) a 4" Black Moor from my local Petco. Turns out he was completely blind and needed to be housed alone. ( couldn't ever find or grab the food before my other Goldfish, even when hand feeding him) Maybe you can find a fish like him in a similar situation.

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

what are the dimensions ? lenght is more important then height with fancy goldfish?

you might be able to but I don't recommend it goldfish are social fish and should be accompanied by other goldfish , They can feel stress and alone.

My father in law also currently has a blind ranchu blind from both eyes, in that case he has no choice but to live by himself.
  6. Chlorophyll.And.Light Initiate Member

I am sorry to hear that about your father in law, but from strict viewing my tank is like square with more up :(.
  7. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Would you be able to get exact measurements if possible?

8. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Yes. Yes you can. But only if it's a long tank, only for 1 gold, and only for a weak swimmer like a Moor or a veiltail ryukin or an oranda.

Short tail Ryukins can be very fast, so you will need at least 30" in tank length, and one heck of a good filter.

Edit: if it's a 24" cube, that would be more or less ok.
  9. Chlorophyll.And.Light Initiate Member

Wow my tank is ill equipped to handle a goldfish. Thank you everyone for helping me! But I think I'll try for a tropical community tank! How does that sound to you all?
  10. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

what are the exact measurements? this helps with stocking even if you choose to go with a tropical community tank.

11. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

since goldfish are social animals i would say no since you need 2 or more
  12. Chlorophyll.And.Light Initiate Member

24 inches across and 20 inches deep. More like a cubby square?