Fancy goldfish

1. k

karlookarl New Member Member

iv e had them for a month but yesterday i noticed that they are not eating like before. not excited about feeding time at all. At first i fed them flakes but then changed to hikari pellets. I occasionally fed them peeled peas also, but now they always hang on the top corner of the tank. I do Wcs twice a week. not sure about parameters yet i will take some tank water to my LFS to get tested. Advice please

i included a pic

[​IMG]

2. AndrewJ54

AndrewJ54 Valued Member Member

What size tank are they in?

3. Dovah

Dovah Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fish Lore! I hope you are well!

One fancy goldfish should have a 30 gallon tank minimum, and an extra 10 gallons per additional fancy. It probably feels very cramped for them - combined with their high waste output, it's probably not a good situation. It doesn't look very entertaining in there, either (sorry for being so blunt.) Some more decorations would make things a bit more mentally engaging. The more real plants the more your goldfish will love you.

An API Freshwater Master Test Kit will give you all the information you need to know and are relatively cheap for the amount of tests they yield for ~$20 on Amazon.

Do you know about and understand the nitrogen cycle? What filter are you using? What temperature is it in your tank? How much water do you replace per water change?

4. OP
    OP
    k

karlookarl New Member Member

They are in a 29 gallon tank I do a 25-30% water change twice a week . As of right now the water looks clear but I will buy the test kit this weekend and also take water to get tested just to be sure. I read that 20 gallon 1 fancy then add 10 gallon if you add one more. How can I get them to eat and be active again ? Oh and I'm using a penguin 200 temp is 75

5. Dovah

Dovah Well Known Member Member

Your filter is insufficient/absolute bare minimum for your tank size, especially considering your inhabitants. I'd use an Emperor 350 or a canister filter designed for smaller tanks. Canisters are much better because of their increased capacity for filter media... or you could use both! ;)

Their tank is cramped and their waste is too much for the water volume. You need to be doing >50% water changes twice a week to be keeping up with the state of affairs.

Real plants such as Anacharis, water lettuce, water hyacinth, etc... basically anything that is capable of thriving while it floats is a great choice to control harmful forms of ammonia in your water. They're also incredibly low maintenance.

Get your water right and add some more decor and whatever fish is in there will be happy.

All of this to say that you should consider rehoming a fancy or upgrading your tank (my preferred objective - goldfish are highly social.)

6. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

You are correct in that many people do say 20 gallons for the first fancy and 10 gallons for each additional. I used to give that advice myself. But I have a single fantail (he's 8 years old now) in a 25g and to be honest with you, he should be in a bigger tank.

As far as them not eating, it could be a couple of things. First thing I would look at is your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. Elevated levels could affect their appetite. Secondly, are you feeding flakes or pellets? Pellets are better for goldfish. Flakes can cause them to get swim bladder problems due to gulping air at the surface when eating floating flakes.

If you are feeding them pellets, note that goldfish like to pick through the gravel and find food that way. I very seldom see my goldfish eat pellets when I feed him, but if you saw the size of him, you'd know he was eating just fine.