Fancy goldfish - What does this look like?

shrimpforever777

Trying to figure out what's wrong with my fancy goldfish. (Sorry for the blurry pics, I have some biofilm going on) I don't have experience with sick fish so I'm kinda clueless, as much as I hate to admit it I started a new job a few months ago and my tank ended up neglected for a little while (trying to do better now, but I'm hoping it's not too late for my fish. ‍♀️)

The only thing that came to mind was dropsy but I have zero experience with that so I wouldn't know. Any help is much appreciated!

WRWAquarium

Does look like the pineconeing of dropsy.

shrimpforever777

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 55g
How long has the tank been running? It's been a year since we moved the tank so I guess a year.
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What is the water temperature? 72f
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) *I am aware that my stocking is terrible, I'm trying to totally redo the tank it's a long story.* 3 fancy goldfish, 2 mollies, 1 Chinese algae eater, khulli loaches, African dwarf frog, clown pleco, 2 nerites, random ramshorns

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I try for every other week but have been struggling to keep up, tank is due for a change but waiting to see if medications are necessary that would change water change schedule.
How much of the water do you change? Usually 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime and occasionally stability
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? It varies with each water change

*I AM QUITE ASHAMED OF THESE PARAMETERS AND AM NOW DOING A WATER CHANGE!!!*
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes, I've had these fish for months now and tanks is well established
What do you use to test the water? Strips usually but I apparently am out so using api
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: .50ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate: 160ppm
pH: 8.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once daily
How much do you feed your fish? not 100% sure
What brand of food do you feed your fish? a variety
Do you feed frozen? not often
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? not often

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? at least 6 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? early this week
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fish looks bloated, scales poking out, almost looks like bubbles between scales. =(
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No, I don't know where to start
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Doesn't seem to have changed at all other than the bloated look, maybe slight changes in swimming but doesn't appear to have that much trouble.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Fish suddenly appeared bloated and scales began to stick out, at first it was mild, over the course of the week it has progressed.

shrimpforever777

Condition is definitely worsening, any thoughts?

Rose of Sharon

Hi,

That definitely looks like dropsy, a condition caused by bacterial infection. Once you start seeing those signs (bloating and raised scales), unfortunately, the outlook is not good. This happens in the later stages of the infection. The infection might be a bacterial infection of the kidneys, or other internal organs. It's hard to know exactly what bacteria is causing it as it could be a number of different types.

I would set up a hospital tank for your goldfish. Keep the water super clean by doing frequent water changes. The water temp should be 70 to 75 degrees.

I would add some aquarium salt to the hosptial tank (one teaspoon per gallon). As you replace water through water changes, be sure to keep in mind how much salt is taken out. Salt is only removed by water changes, so you would not want to add full doses if you are doing small changes.

As far as meds are concerned, you can try some form of antibiotic that treats gram negative bacteria, or specifically, something that treats Aeromonas. Some of the meds might include amoxicillin (fish mox), minocycline (maracyn 2), doxycycline, or kanamycin (kanaplex).

You may also want to read about fish euthanasia. Sadly, if the infection is too far gone, the fish may be suffering, and it might be better to euthanize it. Using clove oil is the easiest and most humane way, if it comes to that. I have posted a link to a thread about it below.
Humane method of Euthanasia for sick fish

I hope this helps, and I really am sorry about your fin baby!!! :(

jtjgg

clean water reduces illnesses, and promotes healing.

160ppm nitrates is crazy high. from my personal experience goldfish should have less than 20ppm nitrate. and they need 20g per goldfish. most people say goldfish are hardy b/c they can live in cold water, warm water, and usually survive fish in cycles. but the truth is, if you want healthy good looking goldfish, you have to keep up with water changes and keep the parameters 0, 0, < 20ppm.

ammonia should be 0ppm, but since you're using strips, it may or may not be accurate.

definitely need to do more frequent water changes. i would start by doing 50% water change every 3-4 days. once you can get the stocking down to just 3 goldfish by themselves in the 55g, you should be close to 20ppm weekly, and then you can reduce water changes to one weekly water change.

fyi, if you're not able to setup a second tank, you can contact Ohio Fish Rescue and see if they can take some fish off your hands or help you rehome a few fish.

shrimpforever777

Hi,

That definitely looks like dropsy, a condition caused by bacterial infection. Once you start seeing those signs (bloating and raised scales), unfortunately, the outlook is not good. This happens in the later stages of the infection. The infection might be a bacterial infection of the kidneys, or other internal organs. It's hard to know exactly what bacteria is causing it as it could be a number of different types.

I would set up a hospital tank for your goldfish. Keep the water super clean by doing frequent water changes. The water temp should be 70 to 75 degrees.

I would add some aquarium salt to the hosptial tank (one teaspoon per gallon). As you replace water through water changes, be sure to keep in mind how much salt is taken out. Salt is only removed by water changes, so you would not want to add full doses if you are doing small changes.

As far as meds are concerned, you can try some form of antibiotic that treats gram negative bacteria, or specifically, something that treats Aeromonas. Some of the meds might include amoxicillin (fish mox), minocycline (maracyn 2), doxycycline, or kanamycin (kanaplex).

You may also want to read about fish euthanasia. Sadly, if the infection is too far gone, the fish may be suffering, and it might be better to euthanize it. Using clove oil is the easiest and most humane way, if it comes to that. I have posted a link to a thread about it below.
Humane method of Euthanasia for sick fish

I hope this helps, and I really am sorry about your fin baby!!! :(
Thanks for the information! Probably not a clear answer here but how would I know when it would be more humane to use the clove oil rather then letting it stuffer? I have no experience with dropsy but it definitely looks bad.

Rose of Sharon

So sorry!!!! :(

When I see a fish struggling to breathe, then I know it's time. At that point, they can't eat or rest.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mcasella
  • Question
Replies
Views
mimo91088
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant