Fancy Goldfish Steal Nerite Snail Food Help

JessicasFancies

Hi guys

I have 2 Nerite snails in each of my fancy goldfish tanks.

I recently noticed white spots on their shells which Google showed me was calcium deficiency spots. I have been feeding algae wafers but my Orandas, Black Moors and Platy eat them b4 my snails can get there.

I have tried feeding my fish b4 dropping in the wafers but as Orandas have NO hunger off-switch…. this does not work.

I have tried multiple different types of algae pellets/wafers/micro pellets/nano wafers/brands etc hoping my fish will not like the taste & leave the snail food alone - fat chance when they even eat my plants.

I do not know WHY as they get 4 different types of extremely expensive food ASWELL as freshly cooked organic vegetables.

As a last desperate attempt b4 the snails give up on me - I have purchased some snail/crustacean calcium cubes specifically for aquariums.

But I am kinda scared it will hurt my fish or ph balance.

Calcium is in 1g cubes from eBay.

Any suggestions or help to save my 4 lovely Nerite snails????

Noroomforshoe

As you said, goldfish simply by nature do not have an on-off switch when it comes to hunger.
Can you post a link for the specific calcium?
You can add a piece of cuttlefish bone to the tank, the same cuttle bone sold in pet stores for parrots to chew. the goldfish may peck at it, but they can't eat it. The snails will love it. I would not worry about cuttle bone changing the ph enough to affect goldfish or snails.

MelkorTheVile

You could try feeding them when lights are off. Or perhaps make a feeding box that snails can get in, but goldfish not. For instance, a cheap plastic food storage container. Cut large enough holes for the snails on two sides, drop container in upside down (so the large opening on top is now flush on substrate). The food can be under that. Put a rock on top to weigh it down.

JessicasFancies

You could try feeding them when lights are off. Or perhaps make a feeding box that snails can get in, but goldfish not. For instance, a cheap plastic food storage container. Cut large enough holes for the snails on two sides, drop container in upside down (so the large opening on top is now flush on substrate). The food can be under that. Put a rock on top to weigh it down.
Oh they eat with the lights off alright. It got very hot in uk recently and I could not switch lights on as temp in my cold water tank was ridiculously high and uncontrollable-so despite no light, they continued to attack me & spit water at me every time I came near or walked past.

I bought this to try. See pic of box.

That idea about the storage box is very good.
15x Calcium Blocks With Added Sea Weed For Snails And Shrimps | eBay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 3

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nanoist
  • Question
  • WagglePets
  • Snails