Fancy Goldfish Problem

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by TyGuy320, Aug 7, 2015.

1. TyGuy320Well Known MemberMember

I haven't been posting a lot on here lately, but that is mainly do to lack of time. However, I have ran into my first scare in a while and I am going to need some help. The problem is with one of my fancy goldfish. I was feeding them right before leaving the house when I noticed one of them has a very odd side. One side of the goldfish looks normal and very round as it should be. The other side has almost a scale deformation and something sort of changing the shape of the side. I have a video, but I can't promise it will be too much help in seeing the deformation. I don't know when it happened, as I only noticed it just a few minutes ago.

He he seems to be swimming well and has a good appetite, so I don't think he is hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_01SzUVrIe8

2. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

This is a new problem to me, but I will give you my best estimation. I think your goldfish may have rubbed against (or bumped into) one of your tank ornaments. Fancy goldfish are very clumsy and are known to bump into tank ornaments causing damage to their scales. The damage seems minor and the goldfish seems to be swimming well. You mentioned that the goldfish is eating well too. I would say that your goldfish is fine and the scale should heal overtime. Good luck! :)

3. TyGuy320Well Known MemberMember

Thank you for the advice. I was thinking the same thing. He is the biggest fish in the tank and likes to act like he owns place. I would not rule out that it is just an injury.

4. TyGuy320Well Known MemberMember

5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello,

I have merged your two threads both dealing with the same fish, tank and issues. It will be less confusing to other members. Please only create 1 thread per topic.

Thanks!

Ken :)

Thread moved to Cyprinids (Includes Gold Fish) Gold Fish section of the forum.

If you require more responses, you can bump your thread after a 24 hour period.

6. bellachanWell Known MemberMember

It could be a bacterial issue (sorry I had replied but I don't see my post something glitched so if i'm repeating myself i'm sorry lol)

I would do a large water change and dab your goldie's wounds with hydrogen peroxide. If you have a QT tank you could move your fish there. Keep an eye on the other fish as well. If that fails, I may look into treating the fish with a anti bacterial med.

For now keep the waters pristine and keep a close eye on your sick fish :)

7. Merri68Valued MemberMember

I think the removal of the decoration is a very good idea. I worry about my own fancy goldies because I have noticed that because of theirround little bodies, they have a tendency to "waddle" through the water when swimming fast, and they do sometimes bump into decorations, or each other. They jostle each other when competing for a particularly yummy morsel of food, too.

I sure hope isolating your goldie works, and that its difficulty is neither bacterial or fungal/viral/whatever. Hydrogen peroxide sounds like a good idea.

Oh! Is your fish itching itself on the gravel? And sometimes when spotting food on the gravel, in a tough to get at spot, my Sparky will scrape herself digging into the crevice for the food Please keep us updated, ok? Good luck!

8. TyGuy320Well Known MemberMember

Thank you for the information. It does not look any worse this morning, so that is good. I will do a water change today and I will also try to apply hydrogen peroxide to the wounds. No other fish in the tank seems to really have an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think that the decoration was taking up too much swimming room, so maybe he ran into it. I have no gravel in the tank, so that can't be the problem.

9. TyGuy320Well Known MemberMember

10. Merri68Valued MemberMember

Gee, that almost looks like an ulcer.

11. TyGuy320Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, it looks kind of serious. Any suggestions other than clean water?

12. AkiliValued MemberMember

Tricide-Neo is an antibacterial fish treatment that is easier to use and just as effective as antibiotic injections.

13. TyGuy320Well Known MemberMember

I have never really messed with medication. I have no QT, does that matter?

14. AkiliValued MemberMember

To use Tricide-Neo.mix the crystals into a one gallon container of distilled water. Ensure that the treatment water is the same temperature as the tank. Once the crystals are dissolved, dip the fish in tub for four to five minutes.

15. TyGuy320Well Known MemberMember

That sounds good. Wouldn't that be similar to a hydrogen peroxide bath? As in isn't hydrogen peroxide antibacterial anyways? Also, I was reading that hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab will help.

16. AkiliValued MemberMember

Topical Treatments are iodine, potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide, and bio-bandage. So hydrogen peroxide bath is fine for now but if you see no change then you have to go with other options.

17. TyGuy320Well Known MemberMember

Thanks for the help, I will keep all this in mind as I go forward. I have yet to see any problems with the other two goldfish. May I ask if you know what typically causes an ulcer?

18. AkiliValued MemberMember

2 main causes are Parasitic Infection – parasites such as anchor worm, flukes, costia even ick are common precursors to bacterial ulcers. These parasites break through the mucous and skin of the fish leaving an entry path for bacteria.
    Water Quality – is another very common cause of ulcers. When fish are exposed to poor water quality (high ammonia or nitrites) they become stressed and their immune systems are weakened. As a result, parasites and bacteria have a better chance of breaking through the fish’s defences.

19. waterlilykariWell Known MemberMember

There is also the factor that if the fish is trying to scratch (often due to water quality issues, ich/other infestations or infections) it could have caused the wound itself which then became an even bigger problem when a secondary infection set in.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice