Fancy Goldfish Pond Build

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Goldiemom I'm sure you'll be able to answer these questions for me.

I dug out space for a round, 18 gal pond in a small raised flowerbed I have in my backyard. It's quite cute, but looks rather small. The place I got it from reccomended 3 fancy goldfish for that size pond, and so I now have 3 fantails (though I feel like one may be a ryunkin) in a fully cycled tank in my house, waiting for the pond to be ready.

Is 18 gal enough for them? It seems so small. Will they be ok outside in the summer? I know they don't like high temps. I will have plenty of shade plants around the pond to help, and was planning on putting a layer of white sand on the bottom to mitigate the heat retention of the black plastic of the pond.

I do have room for an oval sized pond that could give them more space to swim. Would you suggest I do the extra work to put something a little bit bigger in there for them?

***and they will be wintering in the house since I can't provide a pond deep enough for them to survive outside.

20180526_200820.jpg

Attachments

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wish I could say all will be fine but it’s really too small. One is about all you could put in there. I have 3 commons in my 125G pond. If you could do 40G they should be fine. How deep is it?

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wish I could say all will be fine but it’s really too small. One is about all you could put in there. I have 3 commons in my 125G pond. If you could do 40G they should be fine. How deep is it?
Ok, I thought that seemed too small! I can definitely look for a 40 gal. oval so it will fit. I have to be careful of a drainage pipe from our gutters that goes under one side of the bed, which is why I can't just dig out the whole thing, or else I definitely would! (Though my husband is already looking at me like I'm crazy! Ha!)

The one I have is about a foot and a half deep.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree that it's tiny, that's not what I picture when I think of a pond.
You should aim for at least a 40 gallon, with larger being more supportive.

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Good news! I found a 50 gal that I think will fit. Time to get digging... again!

Oh, the things we do for our fishies.

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, here it is! All that's left is putting river rocks and some larger stones from a nearby creek around the pond and flowers. I feel much better putting my little goldies in a 50 gallon with 2 different depths than I did about that tiny 20. Thanks again for the advice @Goldiemom!

20180527_154654.jpg
20180527_154706.jpg

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Man, you work fast! It really looks great. Send us a pic once your finished. Love it!

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Man, you work fast! It really looks great. Send us a pic once your finished. Love it!
I only manage to do things quickly when I'm excited about it. Things I HAVE to do? Procrastinator Extraordinaire right here!

I'll definitely post progress pics, and of course some photos when I add the fish!

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Some water lettuce will give them some shade to hide under and it grows fast!
I actually have some! Yay! It's in one my tanks inside for now, but it will be moved out here soon.

I'm also thinking about getting 2 or 3 Japanese trapdoor snails to help with the inevitable algae build up, but they'll come later.

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Goldiemom here's a shot of one of my pups checking to make sure the goldies are doing alright while acclimating to the pond water. He likes to think he's very helpful! Haha

20180528_153243.jpg

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Here are some photos I took last night while I still had them inside. For slow swimmers, they sure can zip away when they don't want their picture taken!

Can you tell from these photos if they're all fantails? The calico's tail is the fullest and from the back looks like a triangle shape, with fins going down from the tip and flaring out to either side. The white w/the orange cap looks sort of similar, but almost like either his tail hasn't fully grown in on one side, or was damaged. The black and orange has a more typical (in my head anyway) tail. This is my first time with goldfish, so I'm not sure how to tell what type, or gender, they are
20180527_215503.jpg
20180527_215514.jpg
20180527_215524.jpg

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Here's the final product! I added black netting over the water's surface to protect the fish from the blue herons that fly over us on their way to the nearby river. I am in love with the end result! The poor little fish are pretty scared right now, but I put a silk plant from the tank they were in down on the bottom for them. Hopefully they'll be more confident in a few days! Thanks again for the suggestions on the pond size.

20180528_172203.jpg
20180528_172240.jpg
20180528_172211.jpg

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for the delay. Had company in over weekend. I love, love, love the pond! At a quick glance, I would say your orange and black fish is a girl. The calico may be too. The females usually are shorter bodied and thicker. The males won’t be as thick. When they get old enough to breed, the males will grow tubercles or white spots on their front fins and Gill plates. That’s the easiest way to tell a male. If you’re really good at it, you can look under their anal vent (where they poop). A female will have a tiny point outward where the males will contour in ever so slightly. Sometimes I can tell and sometimes I get fooled. I guessed 3 of mine correctly but one I thought was a male turned out to be female. They’ll let you know sooner or later. Keep the pics coming. I keep a net over my pond too!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, yes, they are all fantails. The one white with orange is long bodied for a fancy but no telling what he came from down the line. Looks like he has common in him. Very pretty goldies. Your pups are fine looking too.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would recommend some plants for cover.

I would go with a large hornwort mass and duckweed on the top.

Hownwort won’t be eaten and duckweed provides good surface cover and goldfish love to eat it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom