40 Gallon Tank Fancy Goldfish: Need help with aeration, plants and filtering

PapaBearCT

Reaction score
Hello,

First post here... After many arguments at home, I am reaching out to this forum for help.

Here's the story: Wife wanted Goldfishes, bought 5 small ones and a 10 gallon tank without knowing they would grow, eat and p@@p... a lot! Fast forward 6 months, we now have them in a 45 gallon tank, replaced plastic plants with some live plants that haven't been totally eaten by the fish, and installed a Marineland C220 canister filter. Amonia readings have been around 2 ppm (have also been using an ammonia remover 2x/ week) When filter elements need to be cleaned out or replaced, water from the fish tank is used.

The goldfishes grew more since then (4-inch each: 4 reds and 1 black moor) and we have some questions:

1 - Filtering: Would adding a second filter help with controlling amonia? We feed them only once a day and we watch them eat all food before giving more.

2 - Planting: Last week I planted some Water Sprites, Amazon Swords, Anubias, Brazilian Pennywort and Vallisneria. The fishes are not chewing on them as much as I had expected, but some plants are becoming more transparent - could this be a sign of trouble, or are they just adjusting to the aquarium?

3 - Aeration: We have an air stone bubble bar but wife insists it should turned off at night and when feeding them. I would like to leave it on all time to improve aeration. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
PapaBearCT

SixThreeOh

Well Known
Reaction score
1. Filter is fine. You just don't have enough good bacteria to breakdown the ammonia right now. You should have run your old filter along with the new one for a few weeks while the canister established itself. The key right now is going to be very frequent water changes to keep ammonia down while your bacteria colony grows. I'd do a major change of like 75% then maybe 15 gallons daily until you stop seeing ammonia and nitrites.

2. Plants melt back when adjusting. I wouldn't expect softer plants to bounce back with goldfish munching on them though.

3. Leave it on all of the time. You can turn filter off while feeding to prevent food from being sucked up, but I'd leave the air stone on all the time.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
PapaBearCT said:
Hello,

First post here... After many arguments at home, I am reaching out to this forum for help.

Here's the story: Wife wanted Goldfishes, bought 5 small ones and a 10 gallon tank without knowing they would grow, eat and p@@p... a lot! Fast forward 6 months, we now have them in a 45 gallon tank, replaced plastic plants with some live plants that haven't been totally eaten by the fish, and installed a Marineland C220 canister filter. Amonia readings have been around 2 ppm (have also been using an ammonia remover 2x/ week) When filter elements need to be cleaned out or replaced, water from the fish tank is used.

The goldfishes grew more since then (4-inch each: 4 reds and 1 black moor) and we have some questions:

1 - Filtering: Would adding a second filter help with controlling amonia? We feed them only once a day and we watch them eat all food before giving more.

2 - Planting: Last week I planted some Water Sprites, Amazon Swords, Anubias, Brazilian Pennywort and Vallisneria. The fishes are not chewing on them as much as I had expected, but some plants are becoming more transparent - could this be a sign of trouble, or are they just adjusting to the aquarium?

3 - Aeration: We have an air stone bubble bar but wife insists it should turned off at night and when feeding them. I would like to leave it on all time to improve aeration. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
PapaBearCT
I agree with SixThreeh on the filter, you just have to give it time. I would highly recommend a vigorous water change schedule to battle that poisonous ammonia for a while until your tank has built up some good bacteria. I
Also, yes the plants are adjusting. Give them a couple weeks and they will be much better. Most of all of those plants should be fine with goldfish, but you never know. IME they were fine.
Leave the air filter on, it will be good for your fish and will help build up good bacteria.
Good luck! :)

OP
P

PapaBearCT

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation about the frequent water changes. I've done 25% every day since Thursday and seen ammonia numbers a tad above zero.

...and thanks for all other recommendations too! The plants may take some time to adapt.

New Threads